Mutant Artocarpus heterophyllus?

Pudji Widodo

Jun 22, 2011, 11:35:49 AM6/22/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

This is a real jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) found in Purwokerto, but it grows close to banana plant.  Some parts of the fruit look like banana.  Is it a cross pollinated Artocarpus by Musa or a mutant jackfruit?
Could you explain this please.  Thank you.

Regards,
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA
Nangka_Pisang (5).JPG
Nangka_Pisang (3).JPG

Ushadi micromini

Jun 23, 2011, 6:01:15 AM6/23/11
to efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo
Dear Pudji ji:
Sure looks interesting... but I don't know answer to your question,
but since I deal with weird diseases... I always think, ANYTHING is
possible....

seriously though...
I would wait till its ripe... if its under my control...
or if its in some one else's control ..like a farmer...
pay him to keep an eye on it and sell you the rights to the fruit...
then when ripe , cut it open...since jackfruit and banana both are are
edible,
eat /taste the fruit pulp... photogrpah it first... and ..
.voila you and then we will know if it indeed is a wonder of nature at
work with a real live hybrid...
right before your... and thru you, our eyes...
ISN'T life wonderful? and MYSTERIOUS!!

Usha di

=
>  Nangka_Pisang (5).JPG
> 533KViewDownload
>
>  Nangka_Pisang (3).JPG
> 648KViewDownload

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 23, 2011, 9:16:47 AM6/23/11
to efloraofindia, Ushadi micromini, Pudji Widodo
Dear all
good guess work and suggestions from Ushadi. EVEN I WILL BE INTERESTED TO KNOW THE LOOKS AND TASTE.
BUT NOW A LITTLE BOTANY
Jackfruit is a compound fruit. The jackfruit flowers are in a form of an infloerencense. Each is an individual flower, which gets fertilized and form fruit. But when the fruit formation occurs all fruits togather form one fruit. That is the external rind is common on all fruits togather.
internally each part wat we eat is the individual fruit with a seed in it. the threads or fibres or stripes which we dont eat are the unfertilised flowers.
Now in the photographed jackfruit some of the flowers have followed the normal phenomenon forming normal jackfruit. Some flowers have not followed the rule (like us) and hence formed seperate fruit each. Since the rind is developed on every fruit it is giving an appearence like banana.
But i will definately like to know about inner part. generally such abnormalities result into malformation of fruit too.
other example of compound fruit is pineapple. Each exagone wil represent a fruit.
Waiting for pudijis observations furthe.
BOTANISTS EXCUSE FOR THE NONSCIENTIFIC TERMINOLOGIES USED IF ANY AS THIS IS FOR NON BOTANISTS TO UNDERSTAND
madhuri

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 23, 2011, 9:35:15 AM6/23/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com