Grass week: a great success

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 12, 2010, 3:17:31 PM12/12/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends
Perhaps our apprehensions about lack of interestin grasses were unfounded. The Grass week was a great success, providing a glimpse of great diversity within the group. Large number of members participated, with major contribution from Nayan ji, ably supported by Dinesh ji (as usual), Ritesh ji, Vijayasankar ji, Raghu ji, Mayur ji, Prashant ji, Balkar ji, Rashida ji and several other members, regularly encouraged by Tanay who also provided relevant feedback.
     Pankaj ji continued the great work of providing types, protologues and important comments.
  Congratulations and thanks to all for making the episode a great one.
Kudos to Dr. Ritesh Choudhary for undertaking and coordinating this important episode on grasses. Fortunately very few grasses remained unidentified during the week.
    I WOULD REQUEST OTHER MEMBERS TO VOLUNTEER FOR COORDINATING FUTURE EPISODES.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 12, 2010, 3:40:57 PM12/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I thought this was going to stay for one month!!!
We have many grasses left and I have not been able to provide
information to many plants as I had been too busy with some official
assignments and some applications which is yet to be filled before
deadline.

I would like to give special thanks to Dr. Ritesh for conducting the
Grass Week/Month and taking time out of his busy lab/office schedule
to contribute. Special thanks to all contributors mentioned by Dr.
Gurcharan. But more than special thanks to Dr. Gurcharan himself and
of course N.S.Dungriyal Sir (my students in Tiger team are becoming
your fans at Satpura) and for sure, Dr. Vijayshankar for showing some
very rare plant specimens and Dinesh sir.

I learnt about a lot of grasses this week. I imagine if I had not been
running away from grasses and asteraceae since the beginning of my
interest in taxonomy, I would have contributed to Grass taxonomy of
India.....but for me, Orchids are always a better option :)).

Thank you all.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Ritesh Choudhary

Dec 12, 2010, 8:38:20 PM12/12/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Gurucharan Sir and Pankaj,

Words really fail to express my joy on this overwhelming response
received from you all. I am highly thankful to you for the kind letter
congratulating me on the success of Grass Week. Infact the success is
no less due to the good wishes and enthusiasm shown by you all who
were available day and night for the identification work. Dr.
Gurcharan sir deserves further credit who suggested me to coordinate
this episode and supported a lot with his rare uploads and
identification. Dr. Pankaj supported the episode a lot by providing
types, protologues and important comments despite of his busy
schedule. It was an added pleasure to receive Nayan sir's continuous
support during the episode who surprised everyone by his "Special
appearance" as a Grass expert.

My sincere thanks also goes to Vijayshankarji, Dineshji, Satishji,
Tanayji, Mayurji, Rashidaji, Balkarji, Raghuji, Prashantji and others
who contributed a lot during the episode.

I learnt a lot with this. May this unremitting endeavour in the
service of eFlora go on with undiminished vigour!

Best regards,
Ritesh.

tanay bose

Dec 12, 2010, 9:51:28 PM12/12/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
The grass week was very interesting and informative I thanks all the members who supported the cause
and also uploaded lovely photographs, Most of the species were quite new to me. All the photos were
well supported by taxonomic details from other members including relevant documents which I
appreciate. I again thank all the members for their efforts and involvement.Hopefully later sometime we can
do the same for Cyperaceae another so called grass group which people has very less  information about.

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Arya

Dec 13, 2010, 8:28:03 AM12/13/10
to tanay bose, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Congrts Ritesh Ji for Such a marvelous Job you have done.
Our This week on Grasses is a great Success. I could get time to just see all the mails during this week due to so many accumulated adm jobs of Both my Deptts and NCC, after one month stay at Shimla. Toaday I saw  many mails again and really felt so good that  I cannot explain in words. This was really a great job. Much of the grasses I was seeing first time and I lost my fear for grasses. As since my BSc years and even today we are just writing family Poaceae or Gramineae or only names of a few common grasses on herbarium of grasses. I also thanks the members for posting such a nice pics of Grasses.

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Satish Phadke

Dec 13, 2010, 10:33:13 AM12/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
It was great to see so many grass species last several days.
As Pankaj ji has said grasses are not favourite of many (as most of them don't possess showy beautiful flowers.)
I was disappointed initially because I couldn't contribute any.
Looking at so many species I realized that many grasses are observed around you but a keen eye is necessary to extract the beauty out of them. I am overwhelmed to see the response of this new theme started on Efloraindia and am sure that it continues further in the same manner in coming months due to hard work done by many members especially the ones listed above.
Dr Phadke

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Dec 13, 2010, 10:41:01 AM12/13/10
to efloraofindia
Hahahaha,
I didnt mean it that way Satish sir. I didnt say that grasses are not
favourite of many. What I meant to say was I worked on Orchids so I
will always have higher affinity towards Orchids.
Grasses are of course as good as any other group of plants, but its
really a hard nut for me to crack!!
Regards
Pankaj

On Dec 13, 8:33 pm, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It was great to see so many grass species last several days.
> As Pankaj ji has said grasses are not favourite of many (as most of them
> don't possess showy beautiful flowers.)
> I was disappointed initially because I couldn't contribute any.
> Looking at so many species I realized that many grasses are observed around
> you but a keen eye is necessary to extract the beauty out of them. I am
> overwhelmed to see the response of this new theme started on Efloraindia and
> am sure that it continues further in the same manner in coming months due to
> hard work done by many members especially the ones listed above.
> Dr Phadke
>
> On 13 December 2010 01:47, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Dear friends
> > Perhaps our apprehensions about lack of interestin grasses were unfounded.
> > The Grass week was a great success, providing a glimpse of great diversity
> > within the group. Large number of members participated, with major
> > contribution from Nayan ji, ably supported by Dinesh ji (as usual), Ritesh
> > ji, Vijayasankar ji, Raghu ji, Mayur ji, Prashant ji, Balkar ji, Rashida ji
> > and several other members, regularly encouraged by Tanay who also provided
> > relevant feedback.
> >      Pankaj ji continued the great work of providing types, protologues and
> > important comments.
> >   Congratulations and thanks to all for making the episode a great one.
> > Kudos to Dr. Ritesh Choudhary for undertaking and coordinating this
> > important episode on grasses. Fortunately very few grasses remained
> > unidentified during the week.
> >     I WOULD REQUEST OTHER MEMBERS TO VOLUNTEER FOR COORDINATING FUTURE
> > EPISODES.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/<http://people.du.ac.in/%7Esinghg45/>

Satish Phadke

Dec 13, 2010, 10:52:50 AM12/13/10
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
In fact that is my perception
....grasses are not favourite of many (as most of them don't possess showy beautiful flowers.)
Sorry The sentence has created some misunderstanding(?)

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 13, 2010, 10:54:44 AM12/13/10
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
No issues sir.
I am not sure if it is favourite or not. But for sure I had always
been running away from maths, asterids and grasses!!
:))
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 13, 2010, 11:23:23 AM12/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia

Interestingly, although Asteraceae (cortesy APG, Asterids is now a very large group of sympetalous families) is the largest family of angiosperms with more than 24000 species,  their identification features are more reliable than many other families. Hope we have a week on Asteraceae soon.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 13, 2010, 11:26:52 AM12/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Yes to me people say that Orchids are toughest, to a grass man people
say grasses are toughest... :)).... on the other hand, I say orchids
are easiest and a grass guy will say grasses are easiest!!

J.M. Garg

Dec 13, 2010, 11:53:57 PM12/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
Thanks everybody for making a great week on grasses.
It's bringing out some new species as well as increasing chances to compare similar looking species.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Mayur Nandikar

Dec 15, 2010, 5:05:01 AM12/15/10
to J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
Hello to all

Congratulations Ritesh Ji for the success of Grasss Week, I also congratulate all the involved personalities in this forum for grand success of this chapter.

Thank you
--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,

Dinesh Valke

Dec 16, 2010, 12:56:25 PM12/16/10
to Mayur Nandikar, J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
Dear all friends who posted grasses ... many many thanks to you all.
To me and all those who run away from OR just walk over grasses --- this set of posts is thoroughly helpful.
Almost every photo posted is crisp and clean !!!
The database has gained lot of treasure !!!

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 16, 2010, 1:53:08 PM12/16/10
to Dinesh Valke, Mayur Nandikar, J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
Dinesh ji
Yes indeed. The next episode on fruits and vegetables should be equally exciting. With fruits and vegetables having no International boundaries (Courtesy Reliance Fresh, Big Apple, More, etc.) we should be able to see more of exotic fruits in India.

Dinesh Valke

Dec 17, 2010, 11:13:06 AM12/17/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Mayur Nandikar, J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
Gurcharan ji ... the first two episodes have turned out to be MAHA episodes !!!
Efforts put by Balkar ji had Ritesh ji worried ... now its my turn to get nervous by display of Ritesh ji's efforts !!!!!
Salutes to both of them ... thanks to all those who posted and participated ... much required to make the episode fruitful.

Will try my best ... seeking cooperation from the group.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 17, 2010, 12:39:12 PM12/17/10
to Dinesh Valke, Mayur Nandikar, J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
Dinesh ji
With God's grace the next episode should be one to remember for a long time. We (we can do it more separately) can request members to photographs any interesting fruits and vegetables found in stores/markets and upload them in first week of January. We should also seek photographs of plants in flower and fruit. I expect a very good response.