Malvaceae week :: Melochia corchorifolia

Dinesh Valke

Sep 8, 2011, 7:25:22 AM9/8/11
to efloraofindia
Melochia corchorifolia L.
  • mi-LOH-kee-uh -- from the Arabic name melochien (of ?)
    kor-koh-rih-FOH-lee-uh -- having leaves like Corchorus

Melochia corchorifolia
Aug 26, 2007 at at Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai

commonly known as: chocolateweed, wire bush • Hindi: bundahia, bundava, चित्रबीज chitrabeez, thulak, tikiokra • Malayalam: niruren, tsjeru-uren • Marathi: लहान मेथुरी lahan methuri • Tamil: பிண்ணாக்குக்கீரை pinnakkukkirai • Telugu: gangupindi, kura, sitha kura, sitnata kura, tutturubenda

Native to: tropical Asia

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 8, 2011, 8:04:22 AM9/8/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Another good one Dinesh ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Phadke

Sep 8, 2011, 10:39:17 AM9/8/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Another good one. I have yet to come across this species.

Ushadi micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 12:37:23 PM9/8/11
to efloraofindia
very nice...
how do you always get uniform shade...
do you bring your assistant (as in your wife) with an umbrella (John
Shaw used to say he brought his wife along to hold his white
umbrella or two and may be a reflector when he goes out photographing
wild flowers ,,, :)...)

usha di
-----

On Sep 8, 7:39 pm, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another good one. I have yet to come across this species.
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *Melochia corchorifolia * L.
>
> >    - *mi-LOH-kee-uh* -- from the Arabic name *melochien* (of ?)
> >    *kor-koh-rih-FOH-lee-uh* -- having leaves like *Corchorus*
>
> > [image: Melochia corchorifolia]<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fdi...>
> > Aug 26, 2007 at at Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai
>
> > *commonly known as*: chocolateweed, wire bush • *Hindi*: bundahia,
> > bundava, चित्रबीज chitrabeez, thulak, tikiokra • *Malayalam*: niruren,
> > tsjeru-uren • *Marathi*: लहान मेथुरी lahan methuri • *Tamil*:
> > பிண்ணாக்குக்கீரை pinnakkukkirai • *Telugu*: gangupindi, kura, sitha kura,
> > sitnata kura, tutturubenda
>
> > *Native to*: tropical Asia
>
> >    - [image: Tsjeru-uren (in Malayalam)]<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fdi...>... Sep 26, 2009 at Pooja Farms (resort) near Kolad, Maharashtra
> >    - ... more views:
> >    http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=91314344%40N00&q=Melochiacorchorifoli...
>
> > Regards.
> > Dinesh

Neil Soares

Sep 10, 2011, 12:22:39 AM9/10/11
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Hi,
 Sending some of my recent photographs to complement Dinesh's.
                    With regards,
                      Neil Soares.

  • mi-LOH-kee-uh -- from the Arabic name melochien (of ?)
    kor-koh-rih-FOH-lee-uh -- having leaves like Corchorus

Melochia corchorifolia
Aug 26, 2007 at at Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai

Melochia corchorifolia 1.jpg
Melochia corchorifolia 2.jpg
Melochia corchorifolia 3.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Sep 10, 2011, 1:16:03 AM9/10/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
... thanks for showing the fruits, Neil ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 10, 2011, 1:58:09 AM9/10/11
to Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Another nice one Dinesh ji