Ek Kali Lasun : 060811 : AK-2

Aarti S. Khale

Aug 6, 2011, 11:54:24 AM8/6/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Found at the Flower show at Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai in Feb, 2011.
I'm told they are from Jammu and good for health.
Saw these for the first time.
Can anyone give the correct id.
Aarti
EK kali Lasun-DSCN1943.JPG

Vijayasankar

Aug 6, 2011, 2:40:11 PM8/6/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Thanks Aarti ji for showing us yet another new plant.
What I learn from the internet is, this is a variety of garlic (Allium sativum) and is commonly known as "Snow Mountain Garlic", "Kashmiri Garlic", "ek kali ka jammu ka garlic/lasun" etc. Considered to be medicinal, espl in lowering bp.
http://www.snowmountaingarlic.com/garlic.html

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Balkar Arya

Aug 6, 2011, 9:21:56 PM8/6/11
to Vijayasankar, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Also used in Vaata Dosha and gastric troubles in our area
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Satish Chile

Aug 6, 2011, 10:20:28 PM8/6/11
to Balkar Arya, Vijayasankar, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Yes Allium sativum. Nice for health and nice spice also.
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Aarti S. Khale

Aug 8, 2011, 1:48:19 AM8/8/11
to Vijayasankar, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile
Vijayasankar ji,
Many thanks for the details.
I was seeing these for the first time so was curious to know more details.
Regards,
Aarti

Pinki

Aug 8, 2011, 7:11:30 AM8/8/11
to efloraofindia
Bought them once (in 2007) from Manali...they sold it as a medicine
for High Blood Pressure....unfortunately couldn't deliver it to the
concerned person on time and they stayed with me for almost 3 years
but even after that they didn't dry up...after removal of their hard
covering they were still juicy though the colour had changed to
brownish...from off white...

Alok

On Aug 7, 10:48 pm, "Aarti S. Khale" <aarti.kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vijayasankar ji,
> Many thanks for the details.
> I was seeing these for the first time so was curious to know more details.
> Regards,
> Aarti
>
> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Thanks Aarti ji for showing us yet another new plant.
> > What I learn from the internet is, this is a variety of garlic (Allium
> > sativum) and is commonly known as "Snow Mountain Garlic", "Kashmiri Garlic",
> > "ek kali ka jammu ka garlic/lasun" etc. Considered to be medicinal, espl in
> > lowering bp.
> >http://www.snowmountaingarlic.com/garlic.html
>
> > Regards
>
> > Vijayasankar Raman
> > National Center for Natural Products Research
> > University of Mississippi

Jagdish Parikh

Mar 21, 2014, 2:40:23 PM3/21/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Vijayasankar, Aarti S. Khale, Gurcharan Singh
Dr.Balkar Sing.

I am in USA I want to know how can we propogate this garlic .by seed or just sawing this garclic ? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Please let me know.
jagdish

Jagdish Parikh

Mar 21, 2014, 2:42:39 PM3/21/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh

D.S Rawat

Mar 22, 2014, 12:57:58 AM3/22/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
Yes a variety with large cloves. The plants are robust with broader leaves. In a plant there may be few or one clove; if one, it is completely rounded. The cloves from plants having more than one can only be used for propagation as seeds are usually not produced in it. However, despite of large sized cloves it has less aroma and pungency.
DSRawat Pantnagar

Jagdish Parikh

Aug 1, 2014, 9:06:53 AM8/1/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, sing...@gmail.com
Ravatji,

Thank you.

I planted 24 seeds one came out . It is healthy and as you mention leaves are robust .total 7 leaves were there one leaf became yellow and died out second one is getting yellow .
My question is when  I can harvest the seeds? Also I am in  new Jersey USA ,regular lasun we plant in second week of October and it remains dormant during snow time and come back in spring April and we harvest around 21st of June
What is the right time to plant for this Ek Kali nu lasun?

Please help me.
Regards.
Jagdish