Request for ID – 220211SC1

Shobha Chavda

Feb 22, 2011, 7:15:39 AM2/22/11
to indiantreepix

Can anyone help me in identifying these flowers?

Date / Time – 31st Jan. 2011 / 11.30 am.

Location – Place /Altitude / GPS – Munnar

Habitat – Garden/ Urban/ Wild / Type – Wild

Plant Habit – Tree/Shrub / Climber /Herb – Shrub

Height /Length –  4-5ft

Leaves Type / Shape / Size –

Inflorescence Type /Size –

Flowers Size /Colour /Calyx –Dark Pink

Fruits Type /Shape /Size / Seeds –

Other Information like Fragrance,Pollinator,Uses etc –

Regards,

Shobha

Copy of Thattekad 112.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

Feb 22, 2011, 7:58:05 AM2/22/11
to efloraofindia
Melastoma malabathricum. Regards, Shrikant
>  Copy of Thattekad 112.jpg
> 242KViewDownload

Smilax004

Feb 22, 2011, 9:37:51 AM2/22/11
to efloraofindia
Since the picture named Thattekkad, it is from my native. My house
very much at Thattekkad.
I am doubtful this as Melastoma because the stamens are not clear and
I couldn't see 5+5 stamens (5 longer, as long as the petals and 5
smaller).
Please provide if you have a close up of the flower.

Regards
Giby

On Feb 22, 5:58 pm, shrikant ingalhalikar <le...@rediffmail.com>

Pudji Widodo

Feb 22, 2011, 10:31:56 AM2/22/11
to efloraofindia
I think it is Melastoma candidum

Pudji Widodo

amit chauhan

Feb 23, 2011, 1:11:06 AM2/23/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Hi,
Dear all,

To me it looks like Osbeckia sp.?

regards

--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 22, 2011, 11:57:06 AM3/22/11
to efloraofindia, shobha chavda, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Giby Kuriakose, Pudji Widodo, amit chauhan
Resurfacing again for ID

Earlier feedback

Shrikant ji...................................................Melastoma malabathricum

Giby ji......................................................I am doubtful this as Melastoma because the stamens are not clear and
I couldn't see 5+5 stamens (5 longer, as long as the petals and 5 smaller). Please provide if you have a close up of the flower.

Pudji........................................................I think it is Melastoma candidum

Amit ji.....................................................To me it looks like Osbeckia sp.?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

.
Copy of Thattekad 112.jpg

Giby Kuriakose

Mar 23, 2011, 2:07:04 AM3/23/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, shobha chavda, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Pudji Widodo, amit chauhan
This would most probably be an Osbeckia sp. For sure, it is not Melastoma malabathricum.

Regards
Giby
--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

J.M. Garg

Jul 1, 2011, 1:20:12 AM7/1/11
to efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, manudevk...@gmail.com, royt...@gmail.com, vasude...@gmail.com, Smilax004, amit...@gmail.com, Pudji Widodo, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, shobha chavda

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Since the picture named Thattekkad, it is from my native. My house
very much at Thattekkad.

I am doubtful this as Melastoma because the stamens are not clear and
I couldn't see 5+5 stamens (5 longer, as long as the petals and 5
smaller).
Please provide if you have a close up of the flower.

Regards
Giby”

“I think it is Melastoma candidum

Pudji Widodo”

“To me it looks like Osbeckia sp.?” from Amit ji.

"This would most probably be an Osbeckia sp. For sure, it is not Melastoma malabathricum.
Regards
Giby"

Jul 2, 2011, 2:04:33 AM7/2/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, manudevk...@gmail.com, royt...@gmail.com, vasude...@gmail.com, Smilax004, amit...@gmail.com, Pudji Widodo, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, shobha chavda
i guess Melastoma malabathricum

--
- H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
stone

Dr E S Santhosh Kumar

Jul 2, 2011, 8:58:22 PM7/2/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, manudevk...@gmail.com, royt...@gmail.com, vasude...@gmail.com, Smilax004, amit...@gmail.com, Pudji Widodo, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, shobha chavda
Dear All,

This is Osbeckia reticulata Bedd., a rare Melastomataceae described by Col. R.H. Beddome.

Santhosh

--
SANTHOSH
-----------------------------------

Dr. E S SANTHOSH KUMAR PhD, FIAT, FLS
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala, India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com
Ph: 0091 472 2585373 (Home)
    0091 9446085373 (Mobile)
    0091 4722869628 extn.225 (Office)
 Please consider your environmental responsibility:Before printing this e-mail, ask yourself whether you need a hard copy!

Giby Kuriakose

Jul 3, 2011, 5:36:42 AM7/3/11
to Dr E S Santhosh Kumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, manudevk...@gmail.com, royt...@gmail.com, vasude...@gmail.com, amit...@gmail.com, Pudji Widodo, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, shobha chavda
I agree with Dr Santhosh that this as Osbeckia. I am not known to the species hence this is a new species to me.

Regards,
Giby