Flower ID request | 20DEC2010AR02

raghu ananth

Dec 20, 2010, 1:12:26 PM12/20/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Flower ID request |  20DEC2010AR02
Garden flower,

Ammenhalli Forest
Uttara Kannada
Habitat: Garden fence
Plant height: 3 meters

Regards
Raghu

"What a marvel is the human brain. Each of its invention seems to be more wonderful than the one before. Yet there is a seed of discomfort within and a search for something different, something deeper within oneself In earlier ages that search had drawn people to jungles and mountains in an attempt to think and see more clearly. Now we are imprisoned in jungles of  concrete and steel and  have lost our links to nature"

DSC_7935a.jpg
DSC_7936b.jpg
DSC_7938c.jpg

raghu ananth

Neil Soares

Dec 20, 2010, 1:32:56 PM12/20/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Hi,
 This is a Cleome sp. possibly Cleome speciosa.
                       Regards,
                        Neil Soares.

raghu ananth

Dec 20, 2010, 1:48:16 PM12/20/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Date Correction:
Pls read Photo date as 11 Oct 2010 05.26PM

tanay bose

Dec 20, 2010, 1:53:06 PM12/20/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi raghu Ji,
As Neil Ji said this is Cleome speciosa.
I too have the same opinion

Regards
Tanay

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:48 AM, raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Date Correction:
Pls read Photo date as 11 Oct 2010 05.26PM

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 20, 2010, 9:33:02 PM12/20/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Yes Cleome speciosa
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Mahadeswara

Dec 20, 2010, 11:39:03 PM12/20/10
to efloraofindia
Cleome hasslerana. Synonym:Cleome houtteana, :Cleome pungens,
Cleome spinosa.The cleome, or spider flower, is an annual flower known
for its long seedpods. They develop below the flowers to look
spidery. Most attractive cultivated annual in different hues (white,
crimson, pink, etc. flowers). I will upload the photos recently taken
in Mysore.
>  DSC_7935a.jpg
> 270KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_7936b.jpg
> 225KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_7938c.jpg
> 222KViewDownload

Mahadeswara

Dec 21, 2010, 7:02:35 AM12/21/10
to efloraofindia
I am sure it is Cleome hasslerana. Synonym:Cleome
houtteana, :Cleome pungens,Cleome spinosa.The cleome, or spider
flower. I have grown this plant myself. Please check the
references:
www. toptropicals.com, www.davesgarden.com and many other websites
as well as horticulture books.

Dinesh Valke

Dec 22, 2010, 9:21:02 AM12/22/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
... me too believe it to be Cleome hassleriana ... presently known as Tarenaya hassleriana (syn. Cleome arborea, Cleome hasslerana, Cleome houtteana, Cleome pungens, Cleome spinosa)

Regards.