Please Identify this tall, dark & handsome tree from Aarey Colony

Vinayak Kulkarni

May 18, 2011, 1:30:11 AM5/18/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Kindly identify this tree.

Date/Time-        15/05/2011       03:00PM
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-     Aarey Milk colony, Mumbai, Maharashtra. Altitude :Sea level
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-:  Wild
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  : Huge tree
Height/Length- 30Mtrs approx
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-  as seen in picture
Inflorescence Type/ Size- not seen
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- not seen
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- not seen
Tree ID04 11.JPG
Tree ID04 1.JPG
Tree ID04 2.JPG
Tree ID04 3.JPG
Tree ID04 5.JPG
Tree ID04 6.JPG
Tree ID04 7.JPG
Tree ID04 8.JPG
Tree ID04 10.JPG

rajdeo singh

May 18, 2011, 3:15:58 AM5/18/11
to Vinayak Kulkarni, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Its Swietenia macrophylla King from family Meliaceae.

***
Rajdeo Singh
Project fellow
St. Xavier's College,
Mumbai

Mahadeswara

May 18, 2011, 7:16:26 AM5/18/11
to efloraofindia
Swietenia species.
>  Tree ID04 11.JPG
> 253KViewDownload
>
>  Tree ID04 1.JPG
> 264KViewDownload
>
>  Tree ID04 2.JPG
> 265KViewDownload
>
>  Tree ID04 3.JPG
> 275KViewDownload
>
>  Tree ID04 5.JPG
> 253KViewDownload
>
>  Tree ID04 6.JPG
> 253KViewDownload
>
>  Tree ID04 7.JPG
> 298KViewDownload
>
>  Tree ID04 8.JPG
> 257KViewDownload
>
>  Tree ID04 10.JPG
> 266KViewDownload

H S

May 18, 2011, 1:45:03 PM5/18/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Wat difference you can make out from this foto between S. mahogany and S. macrophylla..

 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

May 18, 2011, 9:53:42 PM5/18/11
to H S, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
A little that I know about this genus from a few specimens in Delhi, S. macrophylla has dark green glossy leaflets, usually 8-12 in number, lanceolate, long-acuminate, leaves are 15-35 cm long. In S. mahogany they are lighter green, 4-10 in number, ovate-lanceolate, leaves 10-20 cm long.

Looking at mostly 6-8 leaflets seen here, their shape and colour, I would like to go with S. mahogany.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

H S

May 19, 2011, 10:09:46 AM5/19/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
I will also go with S. mahogany

J.M. Garg

Aug 25, 2011, 7:47:22 AM8/25/11
to efloraofindia, Vinayak Sharad Kulkarni, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, nitesh...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, shubhada...@yahoo.co.in, rautn...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, abhi_...@hotmail.com, drhmp...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, M Swamy

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Its Swietenia macrophylla King from family Meliaceae.

***
Rajdeo Singh”

“A little that I know about this genus from a few specimens in Delhi, S. macrophylla has dark green glossy leaflets, usually 8-12 in number, lanceolate, long-acuminate, leaves are 15-35 cm long. In S. mahogany they are lighter green, 4-10 in number, ovate-lanceolate, leaves 10-20 cm long.

Looking at mostly 6-8 leaflets seen here, their shape and colour, I would like to go with S. mahogany.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

“I will also go with S. mahogany” from Alfred ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

Tree ID04 11.JPG
Tree ID04 1.JPG
Tree ID04 2.JPG
Tree ID04 3.JPG
Tree ID04 5.JPG
Tree ID04 6.JPG
Tree ID04 7.JPG
Tree ID04 8.JPG
Tree ID04 10.JPG

Satish N. Pardeshi

May 21, 2014, 4:47:28 AM5/21/14
to Sourav Mahmud, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vinayak Sharad Kulkarni, Rajdeo Singh, Sweedle Cerejo, Nudrat Sayed, nitesh joshi, Neil Soares, Shubhada Nikharge, Ninad Raut, H S, abhi_...@hotmail.com, Harshad Manilal, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, M Swamy
Hello all
yes it is Its Swietenia macrophylla King the leaflets being larger than that of S. mohagany. both these trees can be observed near Univeristy of Mumbai Churchgate. S.  macrophylla is near Institute of Science opposite Eros circle, where as S. mohagany is just opposite to Session Court.

regards
 Satish Pardeshi

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Sourav Mahmud <nature...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like a plant of Meliaceae