... FRUITS and VEGETABLES

Dinesh Valke

Dec 24, 2010, 1:13:46 AM12/24/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

In line with focusing on particular subject of flora, the next month will concentrate on FRUITS and VEGETABLES.
And, the Monday of the focus week starts almost bang with the start of the New Year 2011 (assuming that most of us will enjoy the extended celebrations of the Christmas and New Year vacation).

Earlier episodes dealt with single family of flora; this would cover any (or many) families of flora.

Hopefully, we all know our FRUITS and VEGETABLES ... it is as easy as a child non-scientifically deciding to differentiate between the two.
Though both of these would be the edible parts of a plant, we would end up deciding the "sweet" part(s) of the plant to be FRUITS, and all other appetitive tasting to be VEGETABLES.

Scientifically, our usual understanding may get straightened and find that some of the VEGETABLES are in fact "fruits" by definition, or other parts of the plant like leaves, stem, root ... the FRUITS too, could be any other part of the plant.
All said, if there is any trouble in differentiation, no worries ... simply eat and enjoy !! ... because what some people know as VEGETABLE could be FRUIT to some other.

Enough of what could be said about FRUITS and VEGETABLES ... more of it can be found in interesting references:

What is the scope of posting in this episode ?
Per my understanding ... any FRUIT or VEGETABLE that is known to perish in few days.

What do we refrain from ?
To avoid overlapping efforts among past and future episodes, we will refrain from posting:
DRIED FRUITS ... almond, apricot, cashew, date, figs, peaches, plums, raisins, walnut
SPICES ... fennel, mustard, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, saffron, turmeric, ginger, asafoetida, masalas, ...
CEREALS (GRAINS) ... most of them covered in grasses ... barley, corn, maize, millets, oats, rice, rye, sorghum, wheat, sugar
PULSES ... beans, peas, lentils, ... in dried form ... (OK, in wet form)
PRESERVED or PROCESSED FOOD ... all that is consumed from cans, tins, bottles, pickles ... OK, if some of us have keen interest in discussing flora from preserved food.

References used:

Most of us would be in the midst of vacations ... wherever you are, go, go, go steal in broad daylight, every fruit and vegetable that you can get to see on a road-side seller, with your camera !!

Happy posting ... Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all.

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 24, 2010, 2:50:17 AM12/24/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Congrats Dinesh ji
Very well presented introduction. A good stepping stone for Fruits and vegetables week.

I would suggest that members posting photographs of fruits and vegetables during the week should prefix Fruits & Vegetables in the subject line and always add words that make it a unique post, not mixing up with other threads.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

nabha meghani

Dec 24, 2010, 6:00:43 AM12/24/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke
Me too would like to thank Dineshji for his good introduction.
He has rightly excluded Spices.
Can it be possible to have one episode on Spices?
Regards
Nalini

Dec 24, 2010, 1:40:30 PM12/24/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice work Dinesh sir.
Best wishes for the work ahead.
Keep it up.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Inderjeet Sethi

Dec 24, 2010, 11:14:57 PM12/24/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Too good Dinesh ji,
Looking forward to the week.
SEASON'S GREETINGS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO OUR GROUP
--
~ik~
Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 31, 2010, 9:43:02 PM12/31/10
to Inderjeet Sethi, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward for another exciting episode next week.

I would suggest that all posts concerning Fruits and Vegetables during the week should have subject line starting with "Fruits & Vegetables" followed by a portion unique for that post so that the thread remains unique and does not break.
    It would also be useful if once a member has initiated a thread with photographs of a particular species/cultivar, other members should add their photographs of that particular species/cultivar in the same thread. This will help in consolidation of the database information.

Dinesh Valke

Dec 31, 2010, 11:46:24 PM12/31/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Inderjeet Sethi, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar
Monday is just another two days away ... dear friends.

Please do not hesitate to post a plant if one of its part is known to be used as FRUIT or VEGETABLE, despite some other part(s) of it being popular as DRIED FRUIT, SPICE, DRIED FRUIT, CEREALS (GRAINS), PULSES, PRESERVED (or PROCESSED) FOOD.
For example:
1) cashew nut is popular as DRIED FRUIT, however the cashew apple is relished by many as out-of-hand FRUIT.
2) coriander ... dried fruit (better known as seeds) is SPICE, however the perishable young shoots and leaves are used as additive in almost all recipes.
... and so on.

Please heed Gurcharan ji's two important requests regarding posting:
1) subject line to carry the words Fruits and Vegetables, further add appropriate few words which would make the post unique.
2) look out for any posts that has already got your plant ... in which case, please put your post in that thread itself ... it will help make the database less cluttered.

Happy posting.

Muthu Karthick

Jan 1, 2011, 3:31:45 AM1/1/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Inderjeet Sethi, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar
Will do Dineshji, Cheers.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 3, 2011, 3:53:24 AM1/3/11
to indiantreepix

Leh Berry (Seabuckthorn) Bot. name: Hippophae rhamnoides

Photo taken in Leh, Ladakh in September 4, 2009.

Nubra Valley, Ladakh is covered with dense thickets of seabuckthorn - a thorny shrub which is eaten by double hump camels. These bushes are found above 9000 feet.

Leh Berry juice has been reported to contains 100 nutrients, 8 vitamins, 24 minerals and 18 amino acids & the fruit is considered to have anti-ageing properties, enhances body endurance and improves memory.

Hippophae rhamnoides 081.jpg

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 3, 2011, 4:16:22 AM1/3/11
to indiantreepix

Pls help in the identification.
This picture was taken in Coorg on 17th Aug 2010.
Is it by any chance Garcinia (kokam)
IMG_2136.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 3, 2011, 4:18:11 AM1/3/11
to indiantreepix
Pls identify this fruit.
Pic taken in Bangalore in Nov. 2010
IMG_2614.JPG

Madhuri Pejaver

Jan 3, 2011, 4:55:59 AM1/3/11
to indiantreepix, Inderjeet Sethi
Ramphal??????
Madhuri

mani nair

Jan 3, 2011, 4:59:53 AM1/3/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, indiantreepix, Inderjeet Sethi
Yes this Ramphal, cousin of Sitaphal.

Regards,

Mani.