Flora of Uttarakhand- Herb25 for Id- JM

J.M. Garg

Nov 20, 2010, 2:16:47 AM11/20/10
to efloraofindia

Wild Herb captured on 13/8/10 during the trek from Ghangaria (around 11,000 ft.) to Hemkunt Sahib (around 14000 ft.).

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Herb25 I IMG_4756.jpg
Herb25 I2 IMG_4754.jpg
Herb25 I2 IMG_4756.jpg
Herb25 I IMG_4712.jpg
Herb25 I IMG_4754.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 20, 2010, 3:00:32 AM11/20/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I suppose Pedicularis carnosa

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayadas D

Nov 20, 2010, 3:50:48 AM11/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Very  very interesting , would like to know more about this plant.
--
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy

Prashant awale

Nov 20, 2010, 11:10:53 AM11/20/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Dear Garg ji,
Really very very  interesting plant. Nice to see yr collection from Hemkund sahib region.
regards
Prashant

Tabish

Nov 20, 2010, 3:11:58 PM11/20/10
to efloraofindia
I think this is Pedicularis siphonantha
http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=52572&flora_id=2
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Tube%20Lousewort.html
with a distinctive twisted nose.
- Tabish

On Nov 20, 12:16 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wild Herb captured on 13/8/10 during the trek from Ghangaria (around 11,000
> ft.) to Hemkunt Sahib (around 14000 ft.).
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a *thousand species* &
> eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
> alphabetically & place-wise):http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
> for free as per liberal licensing conditions attached with each image.
> please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix(more than 1420 members &
> 52,000 messages on 26/10/10 & with a database of around 4200 species on
> 30/9/10)
>
>  Herb25 I IMG_4756.jpg
> 471KViewDownload
>
>  Herb25 I2 IMG_4754.jpg
> 211KViewDownload
>
>  Herb25 I2 IMG_4756.jpg
> 207KViewDownload
>
>  Herb25 I IMG_4712.jpg
> 181KViewDownload
>
>  Herb25 I IMG_4754.jpg
> 268KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 20, 2010, 8:03:15 PM11/20/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Tabish ji for prompting me for relook from 'Scrophulariaceae of Western Himalayas'. I had initially provisionally identified it from Flora simlensis which lists only P. carnosa (now synonym of P. bifida) with alternate leaves and pink flowers.

P. siphonantha according to Pennel does not grow in Western Himalayas and has much longer corolla tube (usually more than four times the calyx). To me the plant looks to be Pedicularis punctata Decne. (syn: P. siphonantha var. brevituba Prain) characterised by leaves with 4-6 pairs of pinnae, flowers pink, part of lower corolla lobes and galea white.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tabish

Nov 20, 2010, 11:40:22 PM11/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji,
According to Polunin & Stainton, Pedicularis siphonantha is found in
region from Uttarakhand to S. Tibet. However, I don't have much idea
about Pedicularis punctata.
- Tabish

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 21, 2010, 3:10:44 PM11/21/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Tabish ji
P. siphonantha has much longer and slender corolla tube, beak spirally coild or S shaped and leaves with 6-15 pairs of segments.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 6, 2010, 1:37:49 PM12/6/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, efloraofindia
Not very often I differ from the views of Tabish sir,
But this time I think the link provided by Dr. Gurcharan shows a plant
on an authentic website. The corolla tube is smooth and glabrous
unlike our plant and much longer than our plant.
There is one more species recently erected called Pedicularis yaoshanensis.
Have a look plz.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

PROTOLOGUE Pedicularis yaoshanensis.pdf

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 6, 2010, 4:08:30 PM12/6/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji
Pedicularis is a large genus with many species in Himalayas. Having gone to  Kashmir in June I could not pick any. Hope to visit Kashmir (and other alpine areas in August) when one can find maximum number of species of Pedicularis, Primula and Potentilla.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Dec 6, 2010, 4:16:31 PM12/6/10
to efloraofindia
I love Primulas, I have special interest in them after Orchids. If
sometime in life I get an opportunity, and situation is favorable, I
would revise Primulas of India or may be guide some one for PhD on it.
There is a lot of scope on this genus.
Pankaj

On Dec 7, 2:08 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Pankaj ji
> Pedicularis is a large genus with many species in Himalayas. Having gone to
>  Kashmir in June I could not pick any. Hope to visit Kashmir (and other
> alpine areas in August) when one can find maximum number of species of
> Pedicularis, Primula and Potentilla.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Not very often I differ from the views of Tabish sir,
> > But this time I think the link provided by Dr. Gurcharan shows a plant
> > on an authentic website. The corolla tube is smooth and glabrous
> > unlike our plant and much longer than our plant.
> > There is one more species recently erected called Pedicularis yaoshanensis.
> > Have a look plz.
> > Regards
> > Pankaj
>
> > On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Tabish ji
> > > P. siphonantha has much longer and slender corolla tube, beak spirally
> > coild
> > > or S shaped and leaves with 6-15 pairs of segments.
> > >http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=52572&flora_id=2
>
> > > --
> > > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > > Retired  Associate Professor
> > > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> > >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Dec 23, 2010, 7:22:17 AM12/23/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks, Singh ji, Tabish ji & Singh ji.
I could not find any details of Pedicularis punctata Decne. (syn: P. siphonantha var. brevituba Prain) on net.
It looks close to Pedicularis sigmoidea compared to P. siphonantha as per Flora of China as per details below (though I may be wrong as may not be in range)
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1475 members & 57,000 messages on 16/12/10 & with a database of around 4400 species on 30/11/10)

J.M. Garg

Apr 9, 2011, 9:47:56 AM4/9/11
to efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, amit...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“I think this is Pedicularis siphonantha
  - Tabish”

[...]

"P. siphonantha has much longer and slender corolla tube, beak spirally coild or S shaped and leaves with 6-15 pairs of segments. http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=52572&flora_id=2
-- Dr. Gurcharan Singh"

"Not very often I differ from the views of Tabish sir, But this time I think the link provided by Dr. Gurcharan shows a plant
on an authentic website. The corolla tube is smooth and glabrous unlike our plant and much longer than our plant.
There is one more species recently erected called Pedicularis yaoshanensis.
Have a look plz.
Regards
Pankaj"

"I could not find any details of Pedicularis punctata Decne. (syn: P. siphonantha var. brevituba Prain) on net.
It looks close to Pedicularis sigmoidea compared to P. siphonanthaas per Flora of China as per details below (though I may be wrong as may not be in range)
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

Herb25 I IMG_4756.jpg
Herb25 I2 IMG_4754.jpg
Herb25 I2 IMG_4756.jpg
Herb25 I IMG_4712.jpg
Herb25 I IMG_4754.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2012, 2:05:38 AM9/3/12
to efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, prajn...@gmail.com, mithuc...@gmail.com, shreya....@gmail.com, abesh...@gmail.com, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, res...@gmail.com, mand...@gmail.com, parm...@sancharnet.in, alokis...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com, kisha...@rediffmail.com, aniltha...@gmail.com, tigeru...@gmail.com, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, Rajesh Sachdev, mani nair, Dalia Set, Smita Raskar

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Herb25 I IMG_4756.jpg
Herb25 I2 IMG_4754.jpg
Herb25 I2 IMG_4756.jpg
Herb25 I IMG_4712.jpg
Herb25 I IMG_4754.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 3, 2012, 3:56:11 PM9/3/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tab...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, prajn...@gmail.com, mithuc...@gmail.com, shreya....@gmail.com, abesh...@gmail.com, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, res...@gmail.com, mand...@gmail.com, parm...@sancharnet.in, alokis...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com, kisha...@rediffmail.com, aniltha...@gmail.com, tigeru...@gmail.com, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, Rajesh Sachdev, mani nair, Dalia Set, Smita Raskar
After having seen several similar uploads from VOF, I hope I would consider this as Pedicularis hookeriana.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

jmgarg1

Sep 6, 2012, 12:19:58 AM9/6/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, tab...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, prajn...@gmail.com, mithuc...@gmail.com, shreya....@gmail.com, abesh...@gmail.com, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, res...@gmail.com, mand...@gmail.com, parm...@sancharnet.in, alokis...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com, kisha...@rediffmail.com, aniltha...@gmail.com, tigeru...@gmail.com, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, Rajesh Sachdev, mani nair, Dalia Set, Smita Raskar
Can we take it as Pedicularis siphonantha as per the recent thread:
"Gurcharan ji,
   This paper of 2009, [Taiwania, 54(2): 122-133, 2009] analyses Pedicularis species of Section Siphonanthae. I have attached a sketch from the paper. Pedicularis hookeriana (flower C in the diagram) has a very short flower-tube. Also the distribution of Pedicularis siphonantha is mentioned to be from Kashmir to Eastern Himalayas.
So I think the long-flowered species throughout the Himalayas is Pedicularis siphonantha.
The other long-flowered species, with hairy flower-tube, is Pedicularis megalantha, but restricted to E. Himalayas.
   - Tabish"

Gurcharan Singh

J.M. Garg

Sep 24, 2018, 1:30:14 AM9/24/18
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, GurcharanSingh
Going by the hairiness of corolla & 3-6 number of pinnae pairs as per the keys and details at Critical Taxonomic Appraisal of Some Taxa of Pedicularis from Indian Himalayas Belonging to Section Siphonanthae by Arti Garg (2009) (pdf), I feel it may be more closer to Pedicularis punctata Decne.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

Herb25 I IMG_4756.jpg
Herb25 I2 IMG_4754.jpg
Herb25 I2 IMG_4756.jpg
Herb25 I IMG_4712.jpg
Herb25 I IMG_4754.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 24, 2018, 1:44:10 AM9/24/18
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, Tabish, GurcharanSingh, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Thanks a lot, Arti ji.

The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise): http://commons.wikimedia.org/w iki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/gro up/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/ efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

J.M. Garg

Sep 24, 2018, 2:30:14 AM9/24/18
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot, Arti ji.