Fruits & Vegetables Week: Rumex vesicarius, the Bladder dock

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 11:38:58 PM1/11/11
to efloraofindia
Rumex vesicarius, the Bladder dock, often cultivated as ornamental because of showy bladder-like fruiting perianth. Leaves and tender stems used as pot-herb, also used in curries and chutneys because of sour taste.

Local names
Hindi: Chuka, ambari palk, palang sag
Tel: Chukka kura
Tam: Shakkan kirai
Kan: Suki soppu, jussi soppu
Punjab: Khatta mitha, Khatti tan, saluni

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Rumex-vesicarius-Delhi-1.jpg
Rumex-vesicarius-Delhi-2.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 12, 2011, 12:56:16 AM1/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Amamzing
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Madhuri Pejaver

Jan 22, 2011, 8:25:39 AM1/22/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
sorry for the late inquiry. but is this the same what n Marathi is also called Chuka?
Madhuri

Miguel Serra

Jan 23, 2011, 8:30:41 AM1/23/11
to efloraofindia

On 22 Jan, 14:25, Madhuri Pejaver <formpeja...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> sorry for the late inquiry. but is this the same what n Marathi is also called Chuka?
> Madhuri

formp...@yahoo.com

Jan 24, 2011, 7:17:22 AM1/24/11
to Miguel Serra, indian...@googlegroups.com
No answer written.
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 24, 2011, 8:52:30 AM1/24/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Miguel Serra, indian...@googlegroups.com
Madhuri ji

My source (Useful plants of India) has this information

Chuka in Hindi, Telugu does refer to R. vesicarius
Chuk in Hindi is C. acetosella

Gujarati name is not mentioned