Argemone ochroleuca from Panchkula

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 11, 2011, 12:39:43 PM4/11/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Argemone ochroleuca Sweet, Brit. Fl. Gard. 3: t.242. 1828
syn: Argemone mexicana var. ochroleuca (Sweet) Lindl.

A weed of waste places, less common than A. mexicana, differentiated by low habit (usually less than 40 cm tall), poorly brached, smaller narrower leaves, white flowers turning pale yellow, deeply dissected stigma and distinct 1-2 mm long style. Photographed from Panchkula.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Argemon-ochroleuca--Panchkula-1.jpg
Argemon-ochroleuca--Panchkula-2.jpg
Argemon-ochroleuca--Panchkula-3.jpg
Argemon-ochroleuca--Panchkula-4.jpg

Tabish

Apr 12, 2011, 3:45:33 AM4/12/11
to efloraofindia
Thats a wonderful identification Gurcharan ji! I have seen this
species several times in Delhi, and ignored it assuming it to be
Argemone mexicana.
Cheers!
- Tabish

On Apr 11, 9:39 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Argemone ochroleuca* Sweet, Brit. Fl. Gard. 3: t.242. 1828
> syn: *Argemone* *mexicana* var. *ochroleuca* (Sweet) Lindl.
>
> A weed of waste places, less common than A. mexicana, differentiated by low
> habit (usually less than 40 cm tall), poorly brached, smaller narrower
> leaves, white flowers turning pale yellow, deeply dissected stigma and
> distinct 1-2 mm long style. Photographed from Panchkula.
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
>  Argemon-ochroleuca--Panchkula-1.jpg
> 320KViewDownload
>
>  Argemon-ochroleuca--Panchkula-2.jpg
> 169KViewDownload
>
>  Argemon-ochroleuca--Panchkula-3.jpg
> 160KViewDownload
>
>  Argemon-ochroleuca--Panchkula-4.jpg
> 236KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 12, 2011, 6:26:12 AM4/12/11
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Tabish ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 15, 2011, 2:31:50 AM4/15/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji. It is valuable herb in Traditional Healing. When ever you feel depressed (I am sure that this word is not present in your dictionary) collect the roots and keep it in palm for time being. It will help refreshing your mind/mood.

Both yellow and white types are raised in Badi by the Traditional Healers using it as medicine. Many times you can find its "cultivation" in tribal areas for the greedy traders. It is adulterated with Mustard oil and it results in Dropsy as we read about such cases in newspapers time to time.

Just to add Dropsy caused by Argemone seeds can be treated with the help of other parts of same plant.

Here is video link showing Argemone raised in Badi for use as medicine.

Indigenous species added in Cancer Formulations as Tertiary Ingredients. Part-41 © Pankaj Oudhia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgoW3kICqZ4

regards

Pankaj Oudhia