Fruits & Vegetables Week : Amaranthaceae vegetable

Satish Phadke

Jan 11, 2011, 10:33:58 AM1/11/11
to indiantreepix
A common Amaranthaceae member leafy vegetable with flowers.
लाल माठ or राजगिरा in Marathi.
Dr Phadke
DSCN0064s.jpg
DSCN0059s.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 11, 2011, 10:40:33 AM1/11/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Amaranthus gangeticus ?
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Anandi Sharan

Jan 11, 2011, 11:36:00 AM1/11/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
these are spectacular photos of this all-time favourite :)

--
----

Anandi Sharan

Jan 11, 2011, 11:46:23 AM1/11/11
to tanay bose, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
tanay ji

in kolar district it grows in soil that is like rubble - no soil at
all, and yet it grows.
i think it is a fantastic plant.
i grow it in my garden which is totally in the shade and it goes for
days without water.
but having said all this i still do not know the botanical name
i feel i should stop writing for a few days.
tanay ji - thanks for this group and for your knowledge.
anandi

--
----

Satish Phadke

Jan 11, 2011, 12:12:25 PM1/11/11
to indiantreepix
I think it is Amaranthus cruentus rather than A. gangeticus.
Please refer to following links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaranthus_cruentus
http://www.bijlmakers.com/vegetables/amaranthus.htm
A.gangeticus is an annual flowering plant with deep purple flowers
Dr Phadke

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 12, 2011, 2:18:41 AM1/12/11
to efloraofindia, Satish Phadke
Satish ji,
Adding my picture taken at Mahabaleshwar in a Strawbwrry field.
Hope it is the same plant.
Aarti

> A common Amaranthaceae member leafy vegetable with flowers.
> लाल माठ or राजगिरा in Marathi.
> Dr Phadke
>
> DSCN0064s.jpg
> 115KViewDownload
>
> DSCN0059s.jpg
> 81KViewDownload
DSCN8188-Rajgira.JPG

mani nair

Jan 12, 2011, 7:44:45 AM1/12/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Satish Phadke
Thanks Satish ji for the photo. This is my favorite vegetable.

Regards,

Mani.

J.M. Garg

Apr 24, 2011, 4:20:19 AM4/24/11
to efloraofindia, Satish Phadke, tanay bose, mani nair, Aarti S. Khale, Anandi Sharan, le...@rediffmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, agasti...@yahoo.co.in, aparna...@gmail.com, raani...@gmail.com, neha.v...@gmail.com, rahu...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Amaranthus gangeticus ?
tanay”

“I think it is Amaranthus cruentus rather than A. gangeticus.

Please refer to following links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaranthus_cruentus
http://www.bijlmakers.com/vegetables/amaranthus.htm
A.gangeticus is an annual flowering plant with deep purple flowers

Dr Phadke”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

DSCN0064s.jpg
DSCN0059s.jpg

Satish Chile

Apr 24, 2011, 5:00:00 AM4/24/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Satish Phadke, tanay bose, mani nair, Aarti S. Khale, Anandi Sharan, le...@rediffmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, agasti...@yahoo.co.in, aparna...@gmail.com, raani...@gmail.com, neha.v...@gmail.com, rahu...@gmail.com
May be one of these A. blitum, A. dubious, and A. cruentus.

--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

J.M. Garg

Aug 11, 2011, 1:34:55 AM8/11/11
to efloraofindia, le...@rediffmail.com, drsmp...@gmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, agasti...@yahoo.co.in, aparna...@gmail.com, raani...@gmail.com, neha.v...@gmail.com, rahu...@gmail.com, Plumbago...@gmail.com, mohina...@gmail.com, chile...@gmail.com, tanay bose, sharan...@gmail.com
Some earlier relevant feedback:
Amaranthus gangeticus ?
tanay”

I think it is Amaranthus cruentus rather than A. gangeticus.
Please refer to following links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaranthus_cruentus
http://www.bijlmakers.com/vegetables/amaranthus.htm
A.gangeticus is an annual flowering plant with deep purple flowers
Dr Phadke”

"May be one of these  A. blitum, A. dubious, and A. cruentus." from Chile ji.

A common Amaranthaceae member leafy vegetable with flowers.
लाल माठ or राजगिरा in Marathi.
Dr Phadke

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

DSCN0064s.jpg
DSCN0059s.jpg