Garden tree for ID 020511MK1

Muthu Karthick

May 2, 2011, 7:24:14 AM5/2/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Please validate this tree.
Date: 15 Apr 2011; 05:00PM
Location: near ESHA foundation, Coimbatore dist.,  TN
Habitat: planted in garden

4 - 5 M height tree with 10x8cm leaves bearing fruits of c.6cm across. I had not observed flowers here. Is this a Euphorbiaceae member?

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

G 301.jpg
G 298.jpg
G 299.jpg
G 300.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 2, 2011, 8:07:58 AM5/2/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Leaves look like Ficus arnottiana but I wonder whether the tree produces such large fruits, although they are long peduncled.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

shrikant ingalhalikar

May 2, 2011, 8:27:04 AM5/2/11
to efloraofindia
This can be Aleurites fordii or moluccana, need to see closeup of
leaves and also a picture of flowers when possible. Regards, Shrikant
>  G 301.jpg
> 191KViewDownload
>
>  G 298.jpg
> 373KViewDownload
>
>  G 299.jpg
> 200KViewDownload
>
>  G 300.jpg
> 200KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

May 2, 2011, 9:23:53 AM5/2/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Yes Shrikant ji
I hope you are right. The fruits do lokk like Aleurites. We have one tree of A. moluccana in DU  campus that mostly produces lobed leaves, but a few un-lobed ones do look like this, though narrower and gradually tapered.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Aug 15, 2011, 2:25:26 AM8/15/11
to efloraofindia, npba...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, brsp...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“This can be Aleurites fordii or moluccana, need to see closeup of
leaves and also a picture of flowers when possible. Regards, Shrikant”

“Yes Shrikant ji
I hope you are right. The fruits do look like Aleurites. We have one tree of A. moluccana in DU  campus that mostly produces lobed leaves, but a few un-lobed ones do look like this, though narrower and gradually tapered.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

G 301.jpg
G 298.jpg
G 299.jpg
G 300.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 16, 2011, 3:29:37 AM8/16/11
to efloraofindia, npba...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, brsp...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick
A reply:
"Reg. the id of  Aleurites fordii or moluccana is correct. I have a well grown plant in our collection and also the picture of flowers as well as fruit. May take some time to locate the pict?.
Thanks
--
B. Rathinasabapathy
Project Co-ordinator

Thanks, Rathinasabapathy ji.

Muthu Karthick

Aug 16, 2011, 3:36:49 AM8/16/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, npba...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, brsp...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Gurcharan Singh
Thank you everyone for the lead.

J.M. Garg

Aug 16, 2011, 3:59:12 AM8/16/11
to efloraofindia, npba...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, brsp...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick
A reply:
"Pl. go through my blog nbranaikatti.blogspot.com which may be useful.
If you find any sp. id is wrong pl. inform so that I can rectify the same.
Thanks and regards,
--
B. Rathinasabapathy"

J.M. Garg

Aug 18, 2011, 2:01:09 AM8/18/11
to efloraofindia
Forwarding pl.

Aug 18, 2011, 3:37:30 AM8/18/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix, J. M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Most probably this is Aleurites fordii of Euphorbiaceae family. Leaves of A. moluccana are mostly lobed.
The attached file, an MSc dissertation, would be helpful.

Regards
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Muthu Karthick

Aug 22, 2011, 1:49:26 AM8/22/11
to Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix, J. M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Thank you Rathinasabapathyji and Gibyji for supportive literature and illustration.

Is A.moluccana a different species? Missouri Botanical Garden says A. moluccana is a illegitimate name.