Artemisia amygdalina critically Endangered Endemic species from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 29, 2011, 6:35:07 AM8/29/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Artemisia amygdalina Decne., Voy. Ind. Bot. 4: 92. t. 100. 1843

A rare interesting species from Kashmir characterized by its simple serrate leaves, green on upper surface and hoary tomentose on lower surface. The leaves look similar to willow leaves and also like that of Saussurea albescens, with which I passed it on first visit. Perennial herb up to 2 m tall with many stems from base; leaves sessile, elliptic-lanceolate, up to 15 cm long, 1-3 cm broad, serrate with gland-tipped teeth; heads numerous, pendulous, 3-4 mm across, marginal florets female, disc bisexual.

There is an important paper on this species

According to this paper this species has not been collected in last 40 years, and when I went through this paper I learnt that this 40 year earlier collection was done by me. Fortunately I don't remember about this collection because it would have been difficult for me not to disclose the site of collection, very essential for the preservation of critically endangered species. Sufficient to say it is somewhere in Lolab valley.

The present photographs were taken from Botanical Garden of Kashmir University, where it has been grown for conservation. It was photographed in August this year.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Artemisia-amygdalina-Univ Botanical Garden-Kashmir-1.jpg
Artemisia-amygdalina-Univ Botanical Garden-Kashmir-3.jpg
Artemisia-amygdalina-Univ Botanical Garden-Kashmir-2.jpg

Balkar Arya

Aug 29, 2011, 11:42:09 AM8/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Thanks for showing this new plant Sir
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Ushadi micromini

Aug 29, 2011, 11:44:19 AM8/29/11
to efloraofindia
Interesting Artemisia...

many of these are medicinal...
is this one to???
I wonder ...
Usha di

==========

On Aug 29, 8:42 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for showing this new plant Sir
>

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *Artemisia amygdalina* Decne., Voy. Ind. Bot. 4: 92. t. 100. 1843
>
> > A rare interesting species from Kashmir characterized by its simple serrate
> > leaves, green on upper surface and hoary tomentose on lower surface. The
> > leaves look similar to willow leaves and also like that of Saussurea
> > albescens, with which I passed it on first visit. Perennial herb up to 2 m
> > tall with many stems from base; leaves sessile, elliptic-lanceolate, up to
> > 15 cm long, 1-3 cm broad, serrate with gland-tipped teeth; heads numerous,
> > pendulous, 3-4 mm across, marginal florets female, disc bisexual.
>
> > There is an important paper on this species
>
> >http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-5790279/Conservation-of-Artem...

Tabish

Aug 29, 2011, 1:57:35 PM8/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji,
Very happy to know that the 40 years earlier collection of this
endangered species was done by you!
Cheers!
- Tabish
http://www.flowersofindia.in
The waterhole of flower lovers

Ushadi micromini

Aug 29, 2011, 11:25:42 PM8/29/11
to efloraofindia
DO GOOD AND FORGET ....
IS the best gift man can give to this earth, society, future
generations...
Your act in this case epitomizes this edict...

what a selfless act...
MY hats...many hats ... off to you, Gurucharan ji...
proud to know you /// of you...

Usha di
=========

On Aug 29, 10:57 pm, Tabish <tabi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gurcharan ji,
>    Very happy to know that the 40 years earlier collection of this
> endangered species was done by you!
>    Cheers!
>    - Tabish
> -------------------------------------------http://www.flowersofindia.in
> The waterhole of flower lovers
>

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Artemisia amygdalina Decne., Voy. Ind. Bot. 4: 92. t. 100. 1843
> > A rare interesting species from Kashmir characterized by its simple serrate
> > leaves, green on upper surface and hoary tomentose on lower surface. The
> > leaves look similar to willow leaves and also like that of Saussurea
> > albescens, with which I passed it on first visit. Perennial herb up to 2 m
> > tall with many stems from base; leaves sessile, elliptic-lanceolate, up to
> > 15 cm long, 1-3 cm broad, serrate with gland-tipped teeth; heads numerous,
> > pendulous, 3-4 mm across, marginal florets female, disc bisexual.
>
> > There is an important paper on this species
> >http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-5790279/Conservation-of-Artem...

Mahadeswara

Aug 30, 2011, 3:15:16 AM8/30/11
to efloraofindia
Very special.

On Aug 29, 3:35 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Artemisia amygdalina* Decne., Voy. Ind. Bot. 4: 92. t. 100. 1843
>
> A rare interesting species from Kashmir characterized by its simple serrate
> leaves, green on upper surface and hoary tomentose on lower surface. The
> leaves look similar to willow leaves and also like that of Saussurea
> albescens, with which I passed it on first visit. Perennial herb up to 2 m
> tall with many stems from base; leaves sessile, elliptic-lanceolate, up to
> 15 cm long, 1-3 cm broad, serrate with gland-tipped teeth; heads numerous,
> pendulous, 3-4 mm across, marginal florets female, disc bisexual.
>
> There is an important paper on this species
>
> http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-5790279/Conservation-of-Artem...
>
> According to this paper this species has not been collected in last 40
> years, and when I went through this paper I learnt that this 40 year earlier
> collection was done by me. Fortunately I don't remember about this
> collection because it would have been difficult for me not to disclose the
> site of collection, very essential for the preservation of critically
> endangered species. Sufficient to say it is somewhere in Lolab valley.
>
> The present photographs were taken from Botanical Garden of Kashmir
> University, where it has been grown for conservation. It was photographed in
> August this year.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
>  Artemisia-amygdalina-Univ Botanical Garden-Kashmir-1.jpg
> 371KViewDownload
>
>  Artemisia-amygdalina-Univ Botanical Garden-Kashmir-3.jpg
> 307KViewDownload
>
>  Artemisia-amygdalina-Univ Botanical Garden-Kashmir-2.jpg
> 258KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 30, 2011, 3:24:47 AM8/30/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Thanks Ushadi
Your presence in the group has enthused a new life in the interactions. Keep on this good work .

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ritesh Choudhary

Aug 30, 2011, 3:26:40 AM8/30/11
to efloraofindia
Very nice!

Probably I've seen this species (or may be lookalike) in Arunachal
Pradesh. Would like to know the altitude of Loblab valley.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 30, 2011, 3:41:30 AM8/30/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
around 3000 m

There are two closest species A. anomala and A. viridissima which are closely related to this both both endemic to China, one extending to Taiwan.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ritesh Choudhary

Aug 30, 2011, 3:44:21 AM8/30/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for the information sir!

I'll search my collection of photographs and upload it.

Regards,
Ritesh.