Tree for id

Rakesh Biswas

Dec 31, 2010, 9:49:13 AM12/31/10
to indiantreepix
These are the fruits and leaves of a medium height tree common in Kanha and other forests of MP; This one was taken from Samardha forest today.

Fruit capsules leave orange pigment on rubbing and one of the local names is 'roli' tree but this is definitely not 'sinduri' or 'bixa orellana.'

Would be grateful for id.

regards,

rakesh

Picture 002[1]
Picture 005[1]

tanay bose

Dec 31, 2010, 10:06:03 AM12/31/10
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Rakesh Ji kindly check out the attachment, it didnt came out well
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Rakesh Biswas

Dec 31, 2010, 10:18:34 AM12/31/10
to tanay bose, indiantreepix
Thanks Tanay Ji for pointing out this problem. It is opening only with windows picture and fax viewer. I am attaching another picture.

regards,

rakesh
roli tree leaves and fruits.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 31, 2010, 1:03:12 PM12/31/10
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
This should be Mallotus philippinensis.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Nidhan Singh

Dec 31, 2010, 8:14:04 PM12/31/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Hi,
Mallotus phillipensis (Euphorbiaceae) to me too. Common in Haryana Siwaliks.
Thanks
--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

Rakesh Biswas

Jan 2, 2011, 12:10:03 AM1/2/11
to Nidhan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot Pankaj ji and Nidhan ji for this id.

regards,

rakesh