Acacia id please

N Arun Kumar Kumar

Jan 16, 2012, 8:04:26 AM1/16/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I found this bush in a village near Jigani, karnataka. Flowers had a strange yet pleasant scent..
Id help appreciated.
php2ISTi9AM.jpg
php8O4epcAM.jpg
phpwe1sC4AM.jpg

Satish Phadke

Jan 16, 2012, 9:36:13 AM1/16/12
to N Arun Kumar Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
It has to be Acacia farnesiana.
देव बाभूळ
The flowers are very similar to Acacia nilotica but the characteristic difference is the fragrance and the pods which are not flat but turgid and without the narrow grooves seen between the seeds as in Acacia nilotica pods .
I was also amazed when I saw the species first time similar to you.

--
Dr Satish Phadke

Satish Phadke

Jan 16, 2012, 9:38:04 AM1/16/12
to N Arun Kumar Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
I can see some typical pods in your pictures.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Samir Mehta

Jan 16, 2012, 12:49:08 PM1/16/12
to efloraofindia
Another characteristic (not sure whether it's diagnostic) feature of
this species is a tiny (1-2 mm) red gland on the petiole. Will post
the image of this gland in a separate thread.

Regards,

Samir Mehta

On Jan 16, 7:38 pm, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can see some typical pods in your pictures.
>

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It has to be *Acacia farnesiana*.
> > देव बाभूळ
> > The flowers are very similar to *Acacia nilotica* but the characteristic
> > difference is the fragrance and the pods which are not flat but turgid and
> > without the narrow grooves seen between the seeds as in *Acacia nilotica*pods .

Nidhan Singh

Jan 17, 2012, 12:38:03 AM1/17/12
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
Yes, beautiful catch of Acacia farnesiana.

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany