Flora of Kaiga_ID_Confirmation08082011 PJ1

PUTTARAJU K

Aug 8, 2011, 9:05:54 AM8/8/11
to indiantreepix

Dear All,

ID Confirmation plz ..Is this Ephiphyllum oxypetalum , locally it is called brahma kamal . During my college days , I had been for higher altitude expidition to Himalayas there also I found Brahma kamal which was totally different from this.I had photographed this in film camera.Please clarify with details & links.

Date/Time-: 2/08/11   -    21:00

Location- Place, Altitude - Kaiga , Uttar Kannada ,Karnataka, 380 mtrs

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-   wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Shrub

Height/Length - 1m

-
With Regards,
PUTTARAJU K,
SCIENTIFIC OFFICER,
KAIGA ATOMIC POWER PLANT,
POST-KAIGA, U.K.DISTRICT,
KARNATAKA -581400
MOB : 9448999150
EMAIL : pakshir...@gmail.com
            kputt...@npcil.co.in

DSC_0046.JPG

Satish Phadke

Aug 8, 2011, 10:28:32 AM8/8/11
to PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
You are right.
It is Ephiphyllum oxypetalum.
Currently it is flowering in batches here in Pune.Maharashtra.
We had several discussions earlier on the difference between this and the true Brahma kamal from Himalayas. You can search it.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 8, 2011, 3:13:28 PM8/8/11
to efloraofindia
Epiphyllum oxypetalum
Pankaj

On Aug 8, 7:28 pm, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You are right.
> It is *Ephiphyllum* *oxypetalum.
> *Currently it is flowering in batches here in Pune*.*Maharashtra*.
> *We had several discussions earlier on the difference between this and the
> true Brahma kamal from Himalayas. You can search it.*
> *
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 6:35 PM, PUTTARAJU K <pakshirajka...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Dear All,
>
> > ID Confirmation plz ..Is this *Ephiphyllum* *oxypetalum , locally it is
> > called brahma kamal . During my college days , I had been for higher
> > altitude expidition to Himalayas there also I found Brahma kamal which was
> > totally different from this.I had photographed this in film camera.Please
> > clarify with details & links.*
>
> > Date/Time-: 2/08/11   -    21:00
>
> > Location- Place, Altitude - Kaiga , Uttar Kannada ,Karnataka, 380 mtrs
>
> > Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-   wild
>
> > Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Shrub
>
> > Height/Length - 1m
>
> > -
> > With Regards,
> > PUTTARAJU K,
> > SCIENTIFIC OFFICER,
> > KAIGA ATOMIC POWER PLANT,
> > POST-KAIGA, U.K.DISTRICT,
> > KARNATAKA -581400
> > MOB : 9448999150
> > EMAIL : pakshirajka...@gmail.com
> >             kputtar...@npcil.co.in

Ushadi micromini

Aug 8, 2011, 10:24:18 PM8/8/11
to efloraofindia
We have talked about this before.. Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Its one of the Night blooming cereus...(there are several)
I had a cutting or two once from Swami Rama of the Himalayas...
he had several growing near his kutir in Honesdale, PA.
we used to wait (some more dedicated students were more diligent than
I )
for the flower to bloom at night...
From tiny cuttings I grew several plants, and inside the apartment
I got them to bloom a few times..
unfortunately no bats flew by to pollinate them... no fruits!!!

Its fruits are called dragon fruit... a delicacy in Thailand...
and now a days its served here in Calcutta by some
enterprizing young chefs at five stars...

our previous discussion here was at :
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/6da8cbf9eb9970f7/c5de7a065b291f21?lnk=gst&q=cereus+ushadi#c5de7a065b291f21

Usha di