A small common creeper for ID 04112010SMP1

1 view

Satish Phadke

Nov 4, 2010, 10:10:04 AM11/4/10
to indiantreepix
I don't know whether to call it a climber or a creeper. It is a climber just creeping on ground or climbs on small shrubs or stones seen at many place on all Tekdis around Pune. This seems to be the flowering season.
The leaves are oblong with cordate base, alternate.?pubescent 3-4 cm in length. The flowers are axillary small 1cm in size.Calyx lobes seem to be prominent as in the picture. I think this is from family convolvulaceae. I coudn't observe the fully open flower properly probably the blooming duration is short?
For ID
Dr Phadke
DSCN0009s.jpg
DSCN0005s.jpg
DSCN0008s.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 4, 2010, 12:41:47 PM11/4/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
... this looks like Ipomoea eriocarpa ... commonly known as: tiny morning glory • Hindi: बूटा buta • Kannada: ಮುಳ್ಳು ಬಳ್ಳಿ mullu balli • Marathi: माळ घंटी maal ghanti, रानभोवरी raanbhovari • Oriya: paninoi • Sanskrit: नखरि nakhari • Telugu: పురిటితీగె purititige

Regards.

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 4, 2010, 1:14:33 PM11/4/10
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Ipomoea eriocarpa R.Br. Prodr. Fl. Nov. Holland. 484. 1810

Type: Morson s.n., Sierra Leone; K. (attached)

Ipomoea very strangely means worm like, referring to the coiled floral bud.
eriocarpa means fruit covered with wooly hairs.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

TYPE IPOMOEA ERIOCARPA.jpg

tanay bose

Nov 4, 2010, 8:54:37 PM11/4/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
 Ipomoea eriocarpa sure
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose