Crotalaria ¿ nana OR retusa ?

Dinesh Valke

Sep 21, 2009, 9:09:00 AM9/21/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Dear friends,

Place Vaghbil, Thane
Date: 19 SEP 09

Seeing this plant now blooming in the wild (scrub forests) around Mumbai and Thane.

...referring Floristic Survey of Institute of Science at http://iscmumbai.maharashtra.gov.in/floristic%20survey.html the Crotalaria species in attached photos seems to be C. nana.
OR is it C. retusa, else ID please.

Regards.
P1040836.jpg
P1040830.jpg
P1040832.jpg
P1040833.jpg

Vijayadas D

Sep 21, 2009, 10:00:50 AM9/21/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Is it Desmodium

--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Dr E S Santhosh Kumar

Sep 21, 2009, 11:32:12 AM9/21/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
It seems to be Crotalaria nana

Santhosh

SANTHOSH
-----------------------------------

Dr. E S SANTHOSH KUMAR
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala, India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com
 Please consider your environmental responsibility:Before printing this e-mail, ask yourself whether you need a hard copy!

Avinash dada

Sep 23, 2009, 6:46:42 AM9/23/09
to Dr E S Santhosh Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
it is neither C. nana   nor  C. retusa for id it need pods

Dinesh Valke

Sep 23, 2009, 6:54:30 AM9/23/09
to Avinash dada, Dr E S Santhosh Kumar, Indian Tree Pix
OK, Avinash ji ... will put photos at earliest when I get to see the pods.
Regards.

Rajesh Sachdev

Sep 23, 2009, 6:56:29 AM9/23/09
to indiantreepix
Dinesh and others..is it same

--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

Rajesh Sachdev

Sep 23, 2009, 6:57:19 AM9/23/09
to indiantreepix

2009/9/23 Rajesh Sachdev <leopa...@gmail.com>
P9130006.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Sep 23, 2009, 7:05:01 AM9/23/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix
.. NO.
Your photo shows Smithia sensitiva ... the sensitive smithia, in Marathi: लाजाळू कावळा OR कवला lajalu kavla.
Regards.

Pardeshi S.

Sep 23, 2009, 11:40:34 AM9/23/09
to indiantreepix
Hello Dinesh ji
check out with Crotalaria linifolia
common in Mumbai during and after monsoon

regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Sep 23, 4:05 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> .. NO.
> Your photo shows *Smithia sensitiva* ... the sensitive smithia, in
> Marathi: लाजाळू कावळा OR कवला lajalu kavla.
> Regards.
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Rajesh Sachdev <leopard...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Dinesh and others..is it same
> >http://picasaweb.google.co.in/leopardguy/FlowersPlants#53843691336243...
>
> >  2009/9/21 Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>
>
> >> Dear friends,
>
> >> Place Vaghbil, Thane
> >> Date: 19 SEP 09
>
> >> Seeing this plant now blooming in the wild (scrub forests) around Mumbai
> >> and Thane.
>
> >> ...referring Floristic Survey of Institute of Science at
> >>http://iscmumbai.maharashtra.gov.in/floristic%20survey.htmlthe *
> >> Crotalaria* species in attached photos seems to be *C. nana*.
> >> OR is it *C. retusa*, else ID please.
>
> >> Regards.
>
> > --
> > Regards
> > Rajesh Sachdev
> >http://picasaweb.google.co.in/leopardguy
> >www.rajesh-sachdev.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Oct 22, 2009, 12:53:30 AM10/22/09
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke, avinas...@gmail.com, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, satish phadke

Earlier relevant feedback:

"It seems to be Crotalaria nana
 Santhosh"
"it is neither C. nana   nor  C. retusa for id it need pods" from Avinash ji.
"OK, Avinash ji ... will put photos at earliest when I get to see the pods." from Dinesh ji.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

P1040836.jpg
P1040830.jpg
P1040832.jpg
P1040833.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 24, 2009, 10:24:15 AM11/24/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, Avinash dada
... posting a photo of seed pod to help ID.
This photo may not yet suffice ... will be on lookout for better view another time.

Regards.
P1080777.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 27, 2009, 1:32:46 PM11/27/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, Avinash dada
... yet another view of the pod.
Regards.
P1090184.jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 26, 2009, 2:37:55 AM12/26/09
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, Avinash dada
P1090184.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 14, 2010, 5:33:42 AM11/14/10
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, Avinash dada
Dear friends,

Resurfacing this query for ID with more views (of 13NOV10 from Vaghbil, Thane) attached.

Earlier responses:
Vijayadas ji ... Is it Desmodium
Dr E S Santhosh Kumar ji ... It seems to be Crotalaria nana
Avinash dada ji ... it is neither C. nana   nor  C. retusa for id it need pods
Satish Pardeshi ji ... check out with Crotalaria linifolia ... common in Mumbai during and after monsoon

Just as Satish Pardeshi ji has put: common in Mumbai during and after monsoon ... indeed finding this plant appearing during and after monsoon, however does not look like Crotalaria linifolia as per description at PIER species info at http://www.hear.org/pier/species/crotalaria_linifolia.htm

Also observed that a few stray showers are sufficient for new plants to spring up and the old plants to flower.
Thus, it is quite normal for these Crotalaria plants to grow fresh green among the other annuals which have died and dried.

Typically, this plant grows erect and gregarious ... with delicate stem and very slender branches (branching at about 45º) ... strong breeze leave these plants bent towards ground or resting on adjacent plants.

Also need to mention the status of old plants, those that grew during monsoon: they are almost with no leaves, the stem and branches have turned woody. Unseasonal rains (during October / November) bring these old plants back to life, tiny leaves or leaves with stunted growth at old nodes, and many bright yellow flowers dot the entire seemingly dried-up plant.

Hopefully, the additional photos are sufficient to resolve the ID.

Regards.
P1280747.jpg
P1280729.jpg
P1280731.jpg
P1280735.jpg
P1280735_OLD_PLANT.jpg
P1280743.jpg
P1280743_CROPPED.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

"it is neither C. nana   nor  C. retusa for id it need pods" from Avinash ji.
"OK, Avinash ji ... will put photos at earliest when I get to see the pods." from Dinesh ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

P1040836.jpg
P1040830.jpg
P1040832.jpg
P1040833.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 14, 2011, 9:54:06 AM11/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Resurfacing this Crotalaria once more for querying ID.

Neil ji's post showing Crotalaria montana at https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/indiantreepix/Crotolaria$20montana/indiantreepix/in2N41I6-S4/LKe1Q87VtF4J triggered me to resurface this post.
Neil ji, your thoughts please.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 28, 2011, 5:04:03 AM12/28/11
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman, manudev madhavan, Mahadeswara
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

J.M. Garg

Feb 26, 2017, 10:46:00 AM2/26/17
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, satish pardeshi, Avinash Adsul, Dr. Santhosh Kumar
Matches with images at Crotalaria montana Roth