Climber for ID from Mirle | 17AugAR01

raghu ananth

Aug 17, 2011, 8:50:29 AM8/17/11
to efloraofindia
Date/Time-24 Jul 2011 04.05PM
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Chunchanakatte-Mirle, Mysore dist
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-, Near to a farm lake, Wild growth
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-Climber
Height/Length-approx - More than 6feet
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Shape -Resembles a hand- Palmate, Whorl, length-10cms, width-10cms, Hairy -leaves,margin and stem.
Inflorescence Type/ Size-
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-  Round, 3-4cms

Regards
Raghu
DSC_5660SeedOpening.jpg
DSC_5665Leaves-Palmate.jpg
DSC_5665HairyLeaf.jpg
DSC_5662Plant.jpg
DSC_566FruitSafeguard.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Aug 17, 2011, 8:54:34 AM8/17/11
to raghu ananth, efloraofindia
... could be Passiflora foetida.
Regards.
Dinesh

Madhuri Pejaver

Aug 17, 2011, 9:45:08 AM8/17/11
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth
is that the hairy calyx which remains persistant? It doesnot appear as the rind of fruit. Photos are beautiful
Madhuri

Tanay Bose

Aug 17, 2011, 10:23:01 AM8/17/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, raghu ananth
This is Passiflora for sure but not sure whether is is P. foetida.
because the later is known to have a foetid (bad) smell. So one
needs to check the smell of the fruits. But the leaves surely
looks like P foetida.
The hairy thing around the fruit is not calyx but bract.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Arya

Aug 17, 2011, 12:46:06 PM8/17/11
to Tanay Bose, Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, raghu ananth
Yes P. foetida
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 17, 2011, 12:53:48 PM8/17/11
to efloraofindia
Passiflora foetida for sure.
Another high value medicinal plant.
If someone wants to work on this, I can give one idea that this plant
to me seems to have some trapping mechanism for insects and hence an
insectivorous plant. In the morning you can see some tiny insects
stuck to its glandular hairs.
Those who want to work may check the chemical constituent of the
liquid on the glandular hairs. If it has anything like chitinase then
for sure this is insectivorous.
Pankaj

On Aug 17, 9:46 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes P. foetida
>

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is Passiflora for sure but not sure whether is is P. foetida.
> > because the later is known to have a foetid (bad) smell. So one
> > needs to check the smell of the fruits. But the leaves surely
> > looks like P foetida.
> > The hairy thing around the fruit is not calyx but bract.
> > Tanay
>
> > On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Madhuri Pejaver <formpeja...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> >> is that the hairy calyx which remains persistant? It doesnot appear as the
> >> rind of fruit. Photos are beautiful
> >> Madhuri

Balkar Arya

Aug 17, 2011, 12:57:54 PM8/17/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes really good information. I will try to check
Thanks Pankaj Ji

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 17, 2011, 1:02:03 PM8/17/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Welcome sir. I myself wanted to work on this, but could never get an
opportunity. I worked on the foliar aspects of Passiflora and that was
one of my first scientific article ever published. Hence I have an
affinity for passifloras :)
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Balkar Arya

Aug 17, 2011, 1:03:35 PM8/17/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
I like their flowers very much and trying to have atleast 12 different Passifloras in my College. Till now have only 4 sp

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 17, 2011, 1:07:00 PM8/17/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Search in nurseries in Delhi for sure you will get more varieties.
Pankaj

Balkar Arya

Aug 17, 2011, 1:13:31 PM8/17/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes Pankaj ji I am trying in Delhi and Chandigarh. If u know any specific Nursery let me know pls

Muthu Karthick

Aug 18, 2011, 12:39:54 AM8/18/11
to Balkar Arya, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes this is Passiflora foetida. I never knew this plant is having medicinal values. This climber is quite a weed in rural Tamil nadu, spreading all over the short canopy.
Yes Pankaj sir, I read your stomatal study to classify Passiflora spp.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 18, 2011, 12:54:30 AM8/18/11
to Muthu Karthick, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
This plant is included in Ayurveda I assume.
Pankaj

manudev madhavan

Aug 18, 2011, 3:14:19 AM8/18/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Muthu Karthick, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
And.. the fruits are edible...!!!
We used to take the fruits in our childhood days.. :-)
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

Smilax004

Aug 18, 2011, 3:51:17 AM8/18/11
to efloraofindia
Am adding the link for the close up in my Flickr photo stream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby/223506468/in/photostream

Regards,
Giby