Names of Plants in India :: Heritiera littoralis

Dinesh Valke

Sep 15, 2011, 3:11:28 PM9/15/11
to efloraofindia
via Species‎ > ‎H‎ > ‎

Heritiera littoralis Aiton

Flowers of India Discussions at efloraofindia more views in flickr more views on Google Earth

her-ee-tee-ER-a -- named for Charles Louis de Brutelle L'Heritier, French botanist (best known for naming Eucalyptus)
lit-tor-AY-liss -- of the sea shore

commonly known as: looking glass mangrove, Sundarban mangrove, tulip mangroveBengali: সুন্দরী sundariKannada: ಚಂದ ಮರ chanda maraMalayalam: മുകുരം mukuramMarathi: सुंदरी sundariOriya: sundariTamil: சொன்முந்திரி conmuntiri, சுந்தரி cuntari, கண்ணாடியிலை kannati-y-ilai

botanical names: Heritiera littoralis Aiton ... synonyms: Amygdalus litoralis (Dryand.) Kuntze • Balanopteris tothila Gaertn. • Heritiera minor Bojer

Regards.
Dinesh

Mahadeswara

Sep 15, 2011, 11:59:53 PM9/15/11
to efloraofindia
Photos are beautiful. Sundarban is named after this plant.

On Sep 16, 12:11 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  via Species <https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-species>‎> ‎H <https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-species/h>‎ > ‎
>
> *Heritiera littoralis* Aiton
> [image: Heritiera littoralis
> Aiton]<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5927447934/>
>
> [image: Flowers of
> India]<http://www.flowersofindia.in/catalog/slides/Looking%20Glass%20Mangrov...>
> [image:
> Discussions at efloraofindia]<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#%21searchin/indiantreepix/Heri...>
> [image:
> more views in flickr]<http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Heritieralittoralis&m=tags&z=m>
> [image:
> more views on Google
> Earth]<http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/geo/india/&tags=Heritieralittora...>
>
> *her-ee-tee-ER-a* -- named for Charles Louis de Brutelle L'Heritier, French
> botanist (best known for naming Eucalyptus)
> *lit-tor-AY-liss* -- of the sea shore
>
> *commonly known as*: looking glass
> mangrove<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/english/l...>,
> Sundarban mangrove<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/english/s...>,
> tulip mangrove<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/english/t...>•
> *Bengali*: সুন্দরী
> sundari<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/bengali/s...>•
> *Kannada*: ಚಂದ ಮರ chanda
> mara<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/kannada/c...>•
> *Malayalam*: മുകുരം
> mukuram<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/malayalam...>•
> *Marathi*: सुंदरी
> sundari<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/marathi/s...>•
> *Oriya*: sundari<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/oriya/sun...>•
> *Tamil*: சொன்முந்திரி
> conmuntiri<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/tamil/con...>,
> சுந்தரி cuntari<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/tamil/cun...>,
> கண்ணாடியிலை kannati-y-ilai<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/tamil/kan...>
>
> *botanical names*: *Heritiera littoralis* Aiton ... *synonyms*: *Amygdalus
> litorali*s (Dryand.) Kuntze • *Balanopteris tothila* Gaertn. • *Heritiera
> minor* Bojer
>
> Regards.
> Dinesh

Ushadi micromini

Sep 16, 2011, 12:20:41 AM9/16/11
to efloraofindia

Yes, Mahadeswara ji... this plant is called Sundari... in bengali...

but then Dinesh ji already knows that, I guess... Nice depiction of
their tulip like flowers...

Usha di
==

Dinesh Valke

Sep 16, 2011, 12:42:59 AM9/16/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Many thanks Mahadeswara ji and Usha di.
Yes ... did learn while compiling the names that Sunderbans (largest delta in the world) derives its name from the abundantly growing sundari tree.

Dear friends, the names that are listed bear a link ... you may click on the name to reach the name page,
... for instance ... • Bengali: সুন্দরী sundari ... clicking on the Bengali name will lead to a page dedicated to সুন্দরী sundari

Other than wanting to know WHAT is the name of a plant, WHY the name, naturally follows.
Reason behind basing a name is interesting.

Would like to know stories / beliefs / reasoning for every name of the plant ... so, please do not hesitate to discuss names of plants.

Regards.
Dinesh

Satish Phadke

Sep 16, 2011, 9:22:55 AM9/16/11
to Dinesh Valke, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Beautiful small flowers
I can't see any name of the family in the description. I am sure you will add it.
Satish

Dinesh Valke

Sep 16, 2011, 11:03:11 AM9/16/11
to Satish Phadke, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Satish ji ... recollecting that you had pointed this sometime back in the past too ... https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/DNrRp_ZAVFg/discussion

Let me clarify once again that the family name is not going to be put in this Names of Plants in India project ... because this database is being manually built - it is not programmatic ... any change that occurs due to change in family will be a frustrating exercise to repair the data. Therefore no mention of family ... am sure it does not really make the data incomplete.

The crux of the project is names of the plants .... the common names of the plants do not change ... the botanical names' status of the plants are liable to change -- those changes too prove difficult for repairing !!

Satish Phadke

Sep 16, 2011, 11:08:47 AM9/16/11
to Dinesh Valke, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Sorry to bother. I recollect my earlier comment too.
Agreed what you say.
Best wishes.Please continue the good work
Regards
Satish

Dinesh Valke

Sep 16, 2011, 11:51:28 AM9/16/11
to Satish Phadke, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Satish ji ... I do realize my message sounds like I am bothered ... apologies.
Your concern for putting the name of family is well deserved ... but there is a conscious need to avoid it for easier building of the database.
Many thanks for your appreciation too.

Regards.
Dinesh