29/05/2011/YRP/01/ Naoroz Estate, Chethalayam, Wayanad.

Yazdy Palia

May 29, 2011, 4:39:02 AM5/29/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends, some pictures of flowers, leaves and trunk of Allspice.
Date & Time 29/05/2011
Location: Place, Altitude, GPS Chethalayam, Wayanad.
Habitat: Garden, Urban, Wild Type: Garden
Plant Habit: Tree, Shrub, Climber, Herb Tree.
Height, Length. 20’
Leaves Type, Shape, Size
Inflorescence Type Size
Flowers Size Colour Calyx Bracts-
Fruits Type, Shape, Size Seeds
Other Information like Frangrance, Pollinator, Uses.
Regards
Yazdy.

You have been sent 4 pictures.

IMG_7670.JPG
IMG_7671.JPG
IMG_7675.JPG
IMG_7677.JPG

IMG_7670.JPG
IMG_7671.JPG
IMG_7675.JPG
IMG_7677.JPG

ajinkya gadave

May 29, 2011, 5:54:50 AM5/29/11
to Yazdy Palia, indian...@googlegroups.com
I THINK THIS IS  Calophyllum inophyllum  ( उंडी )

Yazdy Palia

May 29, 2011, 6:53:53 AM5/29/11
to ajinkya gadave, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ajinkya ji, given below is the link describing Calophyllum inophullum.
You will observe that the fruit from C inophullum is 25 mm to 50 mm
long. The fruit on my tree is only 6mm in diameter. The flowers are
barely 4 mm in diameter. The leaves have the flavour of several
spices.
http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/sea/Products/AFDbases/AF/asp/SpeciesInfo.asp?SpID=2
and now the link for allspice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allspice
Regards
Yazdy.

Mahadeswara

May 29, 2011, 8:57:14 AM5/29/11
to efloraofindia, ajinkya gadave
Could be an another specie of Calophyllum.

On May 29, 2:54 pm, ajinkya gadave <ajinkyagad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I THINK THIS IS * Calophyllum inophyllum  *( उंडी )

Ushadi micromini

May 29, 2011, 9:58:29 AM5/29/11
to Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
Dear Yazdy ji: I read with interest the response made by Ajinkya ji
and then your response to his /her guess...
AM i missing something?

where are the fruits.... pardon me, but I dont see fruits in the
pictures, nor is the size or other characteristic mentioned in the
text,
and in absence of any reference, such as a human hand or nail or a
scale /ruler how does one judge the size of the flowers in pictures
such as this....

i am a bit confused,
please help...

Second reading got me this: seems you are giving a name and then using
the proforma used for asking for ID....

Its nice that you have said this is allspice .... that means the
diagnosis is definitely known to you... in that case may I also
suggest that you give the botanical name along with pertinent
information and your photos..... and not include the cut and paste
forma provided by eflora for ID purpose....................
then none of us would fall in to this trap of ID-ing something that
it obviously is not....

thanks,
Usha di
-------

On May 29, 3:53 pm, Yazdy Palia <yazdypa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ajinkya ji, given below is the link describing Calophyllum inophullum.
> You will observe that the fruit from C inophullum is 25 mm to 50 mm
> long. The  fruit on my tree is only 6mm in diameter. The flowers are
> barely 4 mm in diameter. The leaves have the flavour of several

> spices.http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/sea/Products/AFDbases/AF/asp/S...
> and now the link for allspice.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allspice
> Regards
> Yazdy.

> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM, ajinkya gadave <ajinkyagad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I THINK THIS IS  Calophyllum inophyllum  ( उंडी )

Yazdy Palia

May 29, 2011, 11:00:52 AM5/29/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
Dear Ushadi ji,
Many thanks for the useful suggestions. You know something my friend,
am a very careless person. It is my fault that I assumed that others
would accept that it is Allspice. Thank you for correcting me.
The fruits are yet to come. The plant is just flowering and I thought
of sharing it. Again, I did not mention the size of the flowers,
another mistake. Definitely an embarrassing situation for Ajinkya ji.
I owe him an apology. You are however assuming that I have asked for
identity. I do not see it in my mail.
I have erred my friend and apologize to all the botanist for having
created confusion. I owe you one more thing my friend. I owe you "A
Thank you" for having corrected me. With a few more such friends, I
will be slightly better, though nowhere near the qualified Botanists.
Regards.
Yazdy.

mani nair

May 29, 2011, 11:18:24 AM5/29/11
to Yazdy Palia, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
Yazdy ji, beautiful tree and flowers.   We have the same tree growing in our Society's garden.  We use the leaves in pulavs.

Regards,

Mani.

Yazdy Palia

May 29, 2011, 11:43:41 AM5/29/11
to mani nair, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
Thank you Mani ji.Oh! yes, people do use it in Pulav and sometimes in Biriyani.
Regards
Yazdy.

ajinkya gadave

May 29, 2011, 11:54:55 AM5/29/11
to Yazdy Palia, mani nair, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
friends nice discussion i search for this tree and i found it this is
Pimenta dioca ( all spices )

please visit this link

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 12:12:03 PM5/29/11
to ajinkya gadave, Yazdy Palia, mani nair, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg
Thanks Usha di for setting sraight the emerging confusion. Yes we should avoid proforma when identity of the plant is known. Better more is if we give Scientific name (or common name) in the subject line itself.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor