010311 SSB1

Bhatt Sweta

Mar 1, 2011, 2:07:46 AM3/1/11
to indiantreepix
Theobroma cacao or the cocoa tree
Location: Jeejamata Udhyan
Family: Sterculiaceae

Theobroma cacao genetics seem to show that the plant originated in the Amazon
The scientific name Theobroma means "food of the gods".

The flowers are produced in clusters directly on the trunk and older branches; they are small, 1–2 cm (1/2–1 in) diameter, with pink calyx.
Cacao flowers are pollinated by tiny flies, Forcipomyia midges in the order Diptera

The fruit is called a cacao pod and contains 20 to 60 seeds, usually called "beans", embedded in a white pulp, which form the main ingredient for the CHOCOLATE!!

Each seed contains a significant amount of fat (40–50%) as cocoa butter. Their most noted active constituent is theobromine, a compound similar to caffeine.

--
Bhatt Shweta
Asso. Prof.,

Theobroma cacao.jpg
Theobroma cacao (1).jpg

Bhatt Sweta

Mar 1, 2011, 2:46:20 AM3/1/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Actually difficult for me to guide you at the moment for location as i have been only once.
Nevertheless i am trying.
It was in the beginning itself, on the left side a little beyond the Prince of Wales statue where a Brownea was in full bloom and cocoa tree was just before that.
In case you the book of TREES AND VEGETATION SURVEY OF VEERMATA JIJABAI BHOSALE UDYAN, compiled under guidance of Dr. Almeida for BMC then the reference would be plot no. 14.

I will be going again soon so hopefully will be able to give you accurate location then.

May be Rashidaji can help with proper explanation for the location.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Prashant awale <pka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nice Pics and information Shweta ji.
Would like to know the location of this tree  in Jijamata Udyan.

Thanks
regards
Prashant

Rashida Atthar

Mar 1, 2011, 3:11:44 AM3/1/11
to Bhatt Sweta, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Good info. about the tree Shweta ji and good directions to the tree too ! I can only add that there is one more Theobroma tree, the one more often seen - this  is located a little ahead of the straight path near the water coolers. Within the circle is another Brownea . This Theobroma used to have a dilapidated signage on it. Perhaps it will have a new marking and name on it now.

regards,
Rashida.

Mahadeswara

Mar 1, 2011, 5:58:07 AM3/1/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for the nice photographs and info. The tree is cultivated on
large scale in Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka for its fruits used for
manufacture of chocolates.

On Mar 1, 12:07 pm, Bhatt Sweta <bhattsw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Theobroma cacao* or the *cocoa tree*
> Location: Jeejamata Udhyan
> Family: Sterculiaceae
>
> *Theobroma cacao* genetics seem to show that the plant originated in the
> Amazon
> The scientific name *Theobroma* means "food of the gods".
>
> The flowers are produced in clusters directly on the trunk and older
> branches; they are small, 1–2 cm (1/2–1 in) diameter, with pink calyx.
> Cacao flowers are pollinated by tiny flies, *Forcipomyia* midges in the
> order Diptera
>
> The fruit is called a cacao pod and contains 20 to 60 seeds, usually called
> "beans", embedded in a white pulp, which form the main ingredient for the
> CHOCOLATE!!
>
> Each seed contains a significant amount of fat (40–50%) as cocoa butter.
> Their most noted active constituent is theobromine, a compound similar to
> caffeine.
>
> --
> *Bhatt Shweta*
> *Asso. Prof.,*
> TCSC,
> *Doctoral Research Student,*
> M.S.U.
>
>  Theobroma cacao.jpg
> 108KViewDownload
>
>  Theobroma cacao (1).jpg
> 156KViewDownload

Bhatt Sweta

Mar 1, 2011, 8:05:50 AM3/1/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
I have some of them in Kerala as well. Remember plucking one pod off!!!

tanay bose

Mar 1, 2011, 9:37:47 AM3/1/11
to Bhatt Sweta, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
The only thing in the world by which you can poison me is chocolate
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

360.gif

Bhatt Sweta

Mar 1, 2011, 9:52:41 AM3/1/11
to tanay bose, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
You love them so much and i cant eat even a small bite of it. I just dislike the taste so much!!!
360.gif

Yazdy Palia

Mar 2, 2011, 2:00:44 AM3/2/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Correction Mahadeshwara Ji, The fruit is not used for manufacture of
chocolates, but the seeds are fermented, dried and then sent to the
manufacturers for the manufacture of chocolates. The fruits are cut
open and the seeds are removed. You will find plenty of dried fruits
which appear like coconut shell all over in these plantations. I must
however admit, the fruit is very sweet and children are found eating
it when ripe. Birds, squirrels and macaques too enjoy it.
Regards
Yazdy.

manudev madhavan

Mar 12, 2011, 5:30:53 AM3/12/11
to Yazdy Palia, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Yes.. i have eaten a lot during my childhood days..
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow