Re: 121011-MS - 53 - Pterocarpus santalinus

M Swamy

Oct 12, 2011, 9:58:47 AM10/12/11
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar
Herewith enclosing the photographs of Pterocarpus  santalinus.  A   medium sized tree. Very rare in Chennai.  Perhaps seen only in GNP.   Photos taken during 2008 in Guindy National park, Chennai. Date not sure.   ID confirmation requested.

DSCN2715.JPG
DSCN2713.JPG
DSCN2714.JPG

Vijayasankar

Oct 12, 2011, 10:06:55 AM10/12/11
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Affirmative, Swamy ji. It is Pterocarpus santalinus, the Red Sanders. 'Sandana vengai' சந்தன வேங்கை in Tamil.
It is endemic to Andhra Pradesh (Chittoor dt.) and extensively planted by Forest dept. in the forests of TN.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Neil Soares

Oct 12, 2011, 11:44:03 AM10/12/11
to M Swamy, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Hi,
 Agree with Dr. Vijayasankar. The Red Sanders tree occurs naturally only in a small area of Andhra Pradesh & adjoining parts of Tamil Nadu.
 Have planted a few saplings of this on my property. Sending a photograph of the leaves of one for comparison.
                           With regards,
                             Neil Soares.

--- On Wed, 10/12/11, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pterocarpus santalinus,Red Sanders sapling.jpg

Vijayasankar

Oct 12, 2011, 3:28:33 PM10/12/11
to Neil Soares, M Swamy, efloraofindia
I think the major portion of its wild population occurs in AP. Even though Gamble mentions its presence in the Hills of Cuddapah, S. Kurnool, N. Arcot and Chingleput, we have not come across its wild populations during our surveys in the latter two districts (of TN). The wild occurrence might be very sporadic or disappearing. What we observed in these districts were plantations, mixed or monoculture, by the FD. Wherever it is planted, it runs wild...we have seen hundreds and thousands of seedling and saplings in the plantation areas and its surroundings, espl. in Chengalpattu dt. Seed germination of red sanders seem to be very successful. But I think it is one of the slow-growing trees. I will be happy to know more about its wild occurrence in TN. Are there any recent reports or sightings?...pl share here.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Mahadeswara

Oct 13, 2011, 8:08:46 AM10/13/11
to efloraofindia, Neil Soares, Vijayasankar
Vijayasankar ji and Neil ji,
Thanks for confirmation of ID and for providing more info on the taxa.
Regards,
M.Swamy