Flora of Uttarakhand- Herb33 for Id- JM

J.M. Garg

Nov 21, 2010, 11:05:22 PM11/21/10
to efloraofindia

Wild Herb captured on 13/8/10 during the trek from Ghangaria (around 11,000 ft.) to Hemkunt Sahib (around 14000 ft.).

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Herb33 I IMG_4701.jpg
Herb33 I4 IMG_4700.jpg
Herb33 I IMG_4700.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 21, 2010, 11:44:54 PM11/21/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I hope Elscoltzia polystachya

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Nov 22, 2010, 10:06:51 AM11/22/10
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Elsholtzia polystachya kindly ignore the typo from Sir Ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

J.M. Garg

Dec 10, 2010, 2:07:01 AM12/10/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, Prashant awale
Thanks, Singh ji & Tanay ji,
But Details & pictures from FOP doesn't match including colour of the flowers:
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1465 members & 56,400 messages on 9/12/10 & with a database of around 4350 species on 15/11/10)

J.M. Garg

Dec 11, 2010, 8:35:23 AM12/11/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, Prashant awale
Can it be Esholtzia eriostachya as per details in Concise Flowers of Himalayas by Oleg Polunin & Adam Stainton ?
Flowers are yellow as per the book.
A few links:

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 11, 2010, 11:33:19 AM12/11/10
to J.M. Garg, tanay bose, efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, Prashant awale
racts are not very clear in your photographs but perhaps E. eriostachya is a better choice, especially the flower colour as per eFlora of Pakistan

By the way there is 'l' between 'E' and 's'

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Dec 30, 2010, 7:11:51 AM12/30/10
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, tanay bose, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Prashant awale

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Can it be Elsholtzia eriostachya as per details in Concise Flowers of Himalayas by Oleg Polunin & Adam Stainton ?

“bracts are not very clear in your photographs but perhaps E. eriostachya is a better choice, especially the flower colour as per eFlora of Pakistan” from Singh ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1475 members & 57,000 messages on 16/12/10 & with a database of around 4400 species on 30/11/10)

Herb33 I IMG_4701.jpg
Herb33 I4 IMG_4700.jpg
Herb33 I IMG_4700.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Dec 30, 2010, 7:59:45 AM12/30/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, tanay bose, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Prashant awale
Garg ji I think your pictures match more  with Elsholtzia fruticosa. Please check pg 100 of Polunin & Stainton.  The leaves pictures in the second link provided by you below with Lamiaceae as the heading are more lanceolate and helps in establishing the difference betwen the two species E. fruticosa and E. eriostachya.
regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 22, 2011, 6:22:36 AM1/22/11
to Rashida Atthar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, tanay bose, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Prashant awale
Agreed Rashida ji
It is in fact E. fruticosa.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Jan 22, 2011, 7:05:15 AM1/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, tanay bose, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Prashant awale
Thankyou for validating the ID Sir.

regards,
Rashida.

jmgarg1

Sep 11, 2012, 5:15:42 AM9/11/12
to efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, prajn...@gmail.com, mithuc...@gmail.com, shreya....@gmail.com, abesh...@gmail.com, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, res...@gmail.com, mand...@gmail.com, alokis...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com, kisha...@rediffmail.com, aniltha...@gmail.com, mach...@gmail.com, tigeru...@gmail.com, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, Rajesh Sachdev, mani nair, Dalia Set, Smita Raskar, envsu...@gmail.com, anz...@gmail.com, thingna...@gmail.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, debash...@gmail.com
Taking it  now as Elsholtzia eriostachya as per thread as per Prashant ji's post:

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=200019634

http://www.asianflora.com/Lamiaceae/Elsholtzia-eriostachya.htm " from me.

“bracts are not very clear in your photographs but perhaps E. eriostachya is a better choice, especially the flower colour as per eFlora of Pakistan” from Singh ji.

"Garg ji I think your pictures match more  with Elsholtzia fruticosa. Please check pg 100 of Polunin & Stainton.  The leaves pictures in the second link provided by you below with Lamiaceae as the heading are more lanceolate and helps in establishing the difference betwen the two species E. fruticosa and E. eriostachya.
regards,
Rashida."

"Agreed Rashida ji
It is in fact E. fruticosa.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh"

May 30, 2015, 8:43:51 AM5/30/15
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
A reply from another thread:
"I think it is E. densa. But both the species are difficult to distinguish. As it is from Uttarakhand better to treat as E. densa,
Sampath Kumar"
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Herb33 I IMG_4701.jpg
Herb33 I4 IMG_4700.jpg
Herb33 I IMG_4700.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 30, 2015, 7:26:34 PM5/30/15
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
Reply from another thread:
"Both Flora of China and Flora of Pakistan separate two species on the basis of corolla colour (yellow in E. eriostachya, purple in E. densa). On that count it looks like e. eriostachya only.
Dr. Gurcharan Singh"