Delonix regia var. flavida

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Sep 8, 2010, 11:30:09 AM9/8/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
sharing snap of the Yellow variety of Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia var. flavida )...commonly called Gulmohar.
Although it is endemic to Madagascar....it is widely grown in India as an avenue tree.
We call it Radha-choora in Bengali....as the red Gulmohar is called Krishna-choora.

regards
Shantanu  :)
gulmohar.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Sep 8, 2010, 11:35:12 AM9/8/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
This looks more like Caesalpinia pulcherrima var. flava, rather than Delonix. Shots of the entire plant would be helpful.

Regards--
Ken.

Sep 8, 2010, 5:12:25 PM9/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Kenneth Greby, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Caesalpinia pulcherrima for me too
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose B.Sc (Hons), M.Sc (Gold Medallist)
Department of Botany.

Shantanu

Sep 9, 2010, 11:23:08 AM9/9/10
to efloraofindia
Okay...thanks for the correct ID of the flower...
but the yellow Delonix and Caesalpinia look very similar....isnt it??

Shantanu : )

On Sep 9, 2:12 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Caesalpinia pulcherrima for me too
> Tanay
>

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I even thought of Caesalpinia pulcherrima var. flava even before looking
> > at the reply of Kenneth. Delonix is a tall tree, whereas caesalpinia is
> > mostly a shrub or small tree.
>
> > *
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
> > *
>
> > On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >>  This looks more like Caesalpinia pulcherrima var. flava, rather than Delonix.
> >> Shots of the entire plant would be helpful.
>
> >> Regards--
> >> Ken.
>
> >>  ------------------------------

Narendra Joshi

Sep 13, 2010, 3:30:19 AM9/13/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, Indiantrees
This appears to be Yellow Peacock Flower from Gulmohar family. ( pl check Caesalpinia pulcherrima)

Regards,

Narendra Joshi

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 8:25:51 PM10/13/10
to Narendra Joshi, navendu page, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Indiantrees
Navendu ji
Last month you had raised question about differences between Caesalpinia pulcherrima var. flava and Delonix regia var. flavida. Today I had a casual check and found these:
Sepals in Delonix are narrower and valvate in bud, in Caesalpinia they are broader and imbricate
Stamens slightly longer than petals in Delonix, they are 2-3 times longer in Caesalpinia
Fruits 30-50 cm long in Delonix, less than 10 cm in Caesalpinia

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

navendu page

Oct 14, 2010, 1:23:19 AM10/14/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Narendra Joshi, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Indiantrees
Thank you Gurcharan ji but I think it may be Narendra who raised the doubt because it was surely not me

navendu
--
Navendu Page

PhD student
Kartik Shanker's Lab
Center for Ecological Sciences
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560012
Ph: +91 9611053510

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 14, 2010, 1:06:06 PM10/14/10
to navendu page, Narendra Joshi, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Indiantrees
I think it was Shantanu ji

Any way

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 15, 2010, 3:36:06 AM10/15/10
to Gurcharan Singh, navendu page, Narendra Joshi, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Indiantrees
My layman's understanding is that Caesalpinia pulcherrima is a bush and can be yellow (Radha chuda) and red (Krishna chuda) whereas delonix regia can be pink bright pink or yellow and it is  a tree. Caesalpinia's identifying characteristic is its ver;y long stamens.
In Bengal gulmohur is also known as Krishna chuda.
Any corrections welcome.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Dinesh Valke

Dec 3, 2011, 8:42:56 AM12/3/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, navendu page, Narendra Joshi, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Kenneth Greby
Plant posted by Shantanu ji concluded as NOT Delonix regia var. flavida Stehle (syn. of Delonix regia (Hook.) Raf.)

Would like to resolve the ID of all yellow flowered variety OR form of Caesalpinia pulcherrima posted by Shantanu ji.
It could be any of the following two:
  1. Caesalpinia pulcherrima var. flava Bailey & Rehder ... synonym of Caesalpinia pulcherrima (L.) Sw.
  2. Caesalpinia pulcherrima f. flava (Degener) H. St. John

reference: The Plants List

Resolving this query will help posting in the coming week.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 3, 2011, 9:01:34 AM12/3/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, navendu page, Narendra Joshi, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Kenneth Greby
Dinesh ji
Please post the link/resurface photographs on Monday. Perhaps it will get resolved when all these taxa are uploaded by different members.