DV :: 16APR11 - 0544 :: Euphorbia ¿ species ?

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2011, 10:41:05 AM4/19/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
ID please

Herb growing (about 1 ft tall) among garden plants.
The linear lanceolate leaves about: 4 - 6 in long X 1 in wide.

Not sure if this plant too is grown as an ornamental.

Must be some species of Euphorbia.

Date/Time
: April 16, 2011 at 5.44pm IST
Location Place : at Vangani ... 19.107508, 73.312602 on Google maps
Altitude : 125 ft (above mean sea level)

Regards.
Dinesh

P1370346.jpg
P1370333.jpg
P1370336.jpg

Vijayasankar

Apr 19, 2011, 10:52:24 AM4/19/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Euphorbia heterophylla.
http://www.fobi.web.id/fbi/key/Semarang?g2_itemId=33762

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2011, 10:58:30 AM4/19/11
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Thank you very much for the ID, Vijayasankar ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2011, 11:03:49 AM4/19/11
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Vijayasankar ji ... on taking a look at Google images, the mature plants seem to have very broad and wavy-margined (that is, in the plane of leaf surface).

Vijayasankar

Apr 19, 2011, 11:11:26 AM4/19/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,

May be that is why it has been named as 'heterophylla', I think.
I understand that the leaves here are variable in shape and size. But I used to get confused with the specific epithet 'heterophylla' to a different plant, E.cyathophora, which has two-colored leaf-like bracts.
Their nomenclature is still confusing!

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2011, 11:28:29 AM4/19/11
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Many thanks Vijayasankar ji ... heterophylla answers many doubts regarding what is seen in Google images.

Many thanks for making me realize the confusing relation between heterophylla and cyathophora

Euphorbia heterophylla auct. N. Amer. synonym of Euphorbia cyathophora Murray ... syn. Poinsettia cyathophora (Murray) Klotzsch & Garcke
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?429414

Euphorbia heterophylla
L. ... syn. Poinsettia heterophylla (L.) Klotzsch & Garcke
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?16374

Regards.
Dinresh

Vijayasankar

Apr 19, 2011, 11:45:55 AM4/19/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks Dinesh ji.

E. heterophylla was earlier popularly known as E. geniculata.
Tamil Name: Paal perukki (meaning a galactagogue).

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi