Grass week : On thorny experience in the Mullaiyanagiri grasslands and forest fires

raghu ananth

Dec 29, 2010, 8:47:02 AM12/29/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

/*

A thorny experience in majestic Mullaiyanagiri grasslands

December 25, 2007

Between 17:15 and 18.00

Muthodi- Mullaiyanagiri  hills

Western Ghats,

Chikka magalur district

Karnataka

While driving through the Mullaiyanagiri peak in Chickmagalur in  Karnataka, our vehicle developed a puncture. We got down and decided to climb uphill the grasslands so as to meet the vehicle on the next couple of bends. It was a nice enough outing watching the mountains change from blue to brown to green, with the sun just about to set and a nice breeze giving us company. But what we had not bargained was for thorns present in the grasslands– small, tiny thorns had pierced into our clothes and when we reached the road, all of us were occupied in removing them. It was then that it hit us as to why the mountain was named Mullaiyanagiri – ‘Mullu’ in Kannada means thorn and ‘Giri’ means mountain.

Some of us had red marks appearing on our skin thanks to them. Our pet Leo, a Pomeranian was probably pierced by these thorns as well and his painful grimace seemed to say it all. He was found lying down flat. The itching lasted even after four days.

From here, (Time-17.15) , we could still see the forest fire taking its toll by stretching further. Earlier, we first witnessed  from very far, patches of smoke and fire somewhere in the mid of the shola forest (afternoon 13.20) We were in the top of  sheege khan guest house in the Muthodi hills. We were told the forest staff were already deployed to put off the fire, Though forest fires appear mostly in summer, we were surprised to see them in December, the time we visited these mountains. Apparently, these beautiful and tall grasslands could catch a fire quickly.

*/

Regards

Raghu