Swertia_spp-TQ04

Tabish

Oct 9, 2010, 12:36:16 PM10/9/10
to Efloraofindia
Unidentified Swertia species.
Herb
Dhanaulti, Uttarakhand - 2,300 m above sea level.
Photographed in early October.
 Please identify
 - Tabish
 http://www.flowersofindia.net
 The Waterhole of Flower Lovers
unid-TQ04-a.jpg
unid-TQ04-b.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 27, 2010, 3:13:00 PM10/27/10
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Resurfacing again for ID

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tabish

Oct 27, 2010, 3:33:12 PM10/27/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
I believe this is *Swertia cordata*, which has the following characteristics:
Stem leaves are stalkless, ovate to ovate-heart-shaped, 0.8-2.3 cm
long, 0.5-1.2 cm broad, base heart-shaped and nearly stem-clasping,
margin rough, tip pointed, veins 3-5.
Flowers are borne in narrow, dense, many-flowered thyrses 13-40 cm.
Flowers are 5-merous. Sepals are lanceshaped to ovate-lanceshaped,
5.5-7 mm long, margin rough and usually slightly curled, tip pointed.
Flowers are white, with purple veins, 1-1.5 cm in diameter. Petals are
narrowly elliptic to elliptic-lanceshaped, 0.8-1 cm long, tip pointed.
At the base of each petal, is a circular greenish, viscous spot.

All these characteristics agree well with my plant.
- Tabish

Tabish

Oct 27, 2010, 3:37:14 PM10/27/10
to efloraofindia
In additions to this, stems of Swertia cordata are supposed to be 4-
angled, with wings on angles. Narrow wings can be seen on the stem in
the 2nd image.
- Tabish

On Oct 28, 12:33 am, Tabish <tabi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe this is *Swertia cordata*, which has the following characteristics:
>  Stem leaves are stalkless, ovate to ovate-heart-shaped, 0.8-2.3 cm
> long, 0.5-1.2 cm broad, base heart-shaped and nearly stem-clasping,
> margin rough, tip pointed, veins 3-5.
> Flowers are borne in narrow, dense, many-flowered thyrses 13-40 cm.
> Flowers are 5-merous. Sepals are lanceshaped to ovate-lanceshaped,
> 5.5-7 mm long, margin rough and usually slightly curled, tip pointed.
> Flowers are white, with purple veins, 1-1.5 cm in diameter. Petals are
> narrowly elliptic to elliptic-lanceshaped, 0.8-1 cm long, tip pointed.
> At the base of each petal, is a circular greenish, viscous spot.
>
> All these characteristics agree well with my plant.
>    - Tabish

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 27, 2010, 3:49:08 PM10/27/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for the detailed information. This had long been stuck in
our throat!!
Pankaj