Flora of Panipat- Pseudocalymma alliaceum (Lam.) Sandwith

Balkar Arya

Jul 17, 2011, 9:00:37 AM7/17/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All

Pseudocalymma alliaceum (Lam.) Sandwith

Scientific Name : Pseudocalymma alliaceum
Family : Bignoniaceae
Common Name : Garlic creeper, Lasun vel

from Arya P G College panipat

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Pseudocalymma alliaceum (Lam.) Sandwith.JPG

mchunkat

Jul 17, 2011, 9:25:15 AM7/17/11
to efloraofindia
I have seen this plant being referred to as Cydista aequinoctialis.
Was that an old invalid synonym? Could somebody help clarify the
situation. Thanks.
Mohan Chunkath

On Jul 17, 6:00 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> *Pseudocalymma* *alliaceum* (Lam.) SandwithScientific Name :Pseudocalymma
> alliaceumFamily :BignoniaceaeCommon Name :Garlic creeper, *Lasun vel*
>
> from Arya P G College panipat
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Dr Balkar Singh
> Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology
> Arya P G College, Panipat
> Haryana-132103
> 09416262964
>
>  Pseudocalymma alliaceum (Lam.) Sandwith.JPG
> 490KViewDownload

Balkar Arya

Jul 17, 2011, 9:40:00 AM7/17/11
to mchunkat, efloraofindia

Mansoa alliacea (Lam.) A.H.Gentry is an accepted name for this plant now as per theplantlist.org

Cydista aequinoctialis (L.) Miers is a synonym of Bignonia aequinoctialis L and a different plant but

Yes Mohan ji there is a confusion pls see

mchunkat

Jul 17, 2011, 10:04:55 AM7/17/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Balkar Singh,
How do you distinguish Mansoa alliacea from Cydista aequinoctialis or
Bignonia aequinoctialis if they are indeed two different plants.
Thanks.
Regards,
Mohan Chunkath

On Jul 17, 6:40 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Mansoa* *alliacea* (Lam.) A.H.Gentry is an
> accepted<http://www.theplantlist.org/about/#accepted> name
> for this plant now as per theplantlist.org
> *
> **Cydista* *aequinoctialis* (L.) Miers is a
> synonym<http://www.theplantlist.org/about/#synonym>
>  of *Bignonia* *aequinoctialis* L and a different plant but
>
> Yes Mohan ji there is a confusion pls seehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/13514533@N02/page3/

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 17, 2011, 10:28:21 AM7/17/11
to mchunkat, efloraofindia
Dear Mohan Ji
These two plants have been discussed in detail in an earlier thread. Please see my responses to get clear.

The presence of garlic smell in Mansoa and its absence in Cydista is crucial difference in practice.
I reproduce the key from that thread for your benefit

 1.  Fruit valves costate, acuminate, plant with garlic odor when
bruised or broken; inflorescence racemose on small lateral
branchlets calyx-limb flaring, corolla lavender . . . . . . . . Mansoa

     1. Fruit valves not notably costate, odor when broken not alliaceous.
 Inflorescence a twice or more trichotomous cymose panicle, leaflet bases
rounded or broadly cuneate, pseudostipules inconspicuous or early caducous,
tendril often present and conspicuous; calyx-limb not notably
flaring; corolla limb whitish to pink or lavender. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . Cydista

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Jul 17, 2011, 7:22:53 PM7/17/11
to Gurcharan Singh, mchunkat, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan Ji for solving the mystery