Solanum nigrum complex

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 30, 2011, 10:15:43 AM3/30/11
to efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Dear Satish ji
Solanum nigrum complex is one of the most confused group of species with at least 3 species expected in India: S. americanum, S. nigrum and S. villosum (especially the glabresecent form of it sometimes called S. miniatum, but now synonym). There are number of uploads in our database, which need to be sorted out.

These three species can be differentiated as under:

4a Flowers <5 mm across; anthers 1.5 mm long; peduncles up to 2.8 cm long in fruit; fruiting pedicels up to 1.4 cm, erect or reflexed; berry 6 -7 mm, black, shining 1. S. americanum Mill.
4b Flowers > 5 mm across; anthers 2-3 mm long; fruiting pedicels reflexed; berry > 7mm; green, yellow, orange or black, not shining (5)

5aInfl. 3-5 flowered; peduncle in fruit <13 mm; berry longer than broad, red, orange or green 2. S. villosum (L.) Moench.
5bInfl. 5-20 flowered; peduncle in fruit > 15 mm; berry broader than long, dull purple, black or yellowish green 3. S. nigrum L.

The following upload by you had clearly shining black berries and longer peduncled matching S. americanum but perhaps flower size (diam), anther length and berry size should help in confirming identification. I would request you to kindly explore these features if you are able to find this plant in your area.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Phadke

Apr 5, 2011, 9:37:15 AM4/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
The plant is not there at present. It might erupt after monsoon.
From what I remember the description matches with the key number 4a(Very small flowers etc.) i.e. S.americanum
Thanks for extensive followup..
Satish