Plant for ID - 140811 - RK

ranjini kamath

Aug 14, 2011, 6:18:54 AM8/14/11
to indiatreepix
Request ID of this plant.Looks like a dwarf variety.The leaves had
dried in March but the plant burst into foliage mid-April.
Date/Time - 27-04-11/around 7am
Location - Los Altos,California
Habitat - Garden
Plant Habit - Dwarf tree [ ? ]
Ht - 41/2'
Flowers,Fruits not seen in March-April
Leaves about 6'' across
Thank you
Ranjini Kamath
IMG_9189-ph.jpg
IMG_9191-ph.jpg
IMG_9193-ph.jpg
IMG_9194-ph.jpg
IMG_9197-ph.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 14, 2011, 6:52:38 AM8/14/11
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
I hope Acer palmatum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tanay Bose

Aug 14, 2011, 10:41:58 AM8/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Yes this is Acer palmatum commonly known as Japanese maple
very common garden plant in north america ...
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ushadi micromini

Aug 14, 2011, 2:25:57 PM8/14/11
to efloraofindia

This NOT the japanese maple... this is one of the japanese maples...
original Japanese maple introduced has leaves, smaller of course, but
identifiable in shape and outline as typical maple...
this tree's leaves are (for lack of technical term) deeply lobated....
almost like fingers....
this Acer palmatum is often a subject of Bonsai makers...

Usha di
===

On Aug 14, 7:41 pm, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes this is Acer palmatum commonly known as Japanese maple
> very common garden plant in north america ...
> Tanay
>

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 3:52 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I hope Acer palmatum
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM, ranjini kamath <ranjin...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Request ID of this plant.Looks like a dwarf variety.The leaves had
> >> dried in March but the plant burst into foliage mid-April.
> >> Date/Time - 27-04-11/around 7am
> >> Location - Los Altos,California
> >> Habitat - Garden
> >> Plant Habit - Dwarf tree [ ? ]
> >> Ht - 41/2'
> >> Flowers,Fruits not seen in March-April
> >> Leaves about 6'' across
> >> Thank you
> >>      Ranjini Kamath
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> *Webpages:*http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.htmlhttps://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/

Satish Phadke

Aug 16, 2011, 5:59:09 AM8/16/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
I didn't understand the meaning of your sentence
" This NOT the japanese maple... this is one of the japanese maples... "
Will you please elaborate again in simple words.
Dr Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 16, 2011, 6:16:07 AM8/16/11
to Satish Phadke, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Satish ji
There are at least two species of Japanese maples: Acer japonicum and Acer palmatum

More accurately, however, Acer japonicum is downy Japanese maple, and Acer palmatum as Smooth Japanese maple.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Phadke

Aug 17, 2011, 10:53:20 AM8/17/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
This question was actually for Usha di
Now I understood after Gurcharanji's reply.
The common name Japanese maple includes at least two botanically named species
Acer japonicum and Acer palmatum which again has 3 recognized subspecies and many cultivars....(Wikipedia)
  • Acer palmatum subsp. palmatum. Leaves small, 4–7 cm wide, with five or seven lobes and double-serrate margins; seed wings 10–15 mm. Lower altitudes throughout central and southern Japan (not Hokkaido).
  • Acer palmatum subsp. amoenum (Carrière) H.Hara. Leaves larger, 6–12 cm wide, with seven or nine lobes and single-serrate margins; seed wings 20–25 mm. Higher altitudes throughout Japan and South Korea.
  • Acer palmatum subsp. matsumurae Koidz. Leaves larger, 6–12 cm wide, with seven (rarely five or nine) lobes and double-serrate margins; seed wings 15–25 mm. Higher altitudes throughout Japan
           Dr Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 23, 2021, 6:56:20 AM11/23/21
to efloraofindia
More appropriately Acer palmatum 'Dissectum Atropurpureum'