Red flowers of a herb | Idreq - 13Nov10AR02

raghu ananth

Nov 13, 2010, 1:13:38 PM11/13/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Red flowers of a herb | 13Nov10AR02
Chamundi hills, Mysore

Date/Time- Sep 2010
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Chamundi hills, Mysore
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Wild, hills, along the road side
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Herb
Height/Length- 35 cms,
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Opposite,  8cms,
Inflorescence Type/ Size-
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- ~Red, ~ 2cms
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- no

Regards
Raghu

DSC_6636a1.jpg
DSC_6637a2.jpg
DSC_6636a3.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 13, 2010, 1:39:25 PM11/13/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Looks like Boraginaceae, may be some Heliotropium!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Dinesh Valke

Nov 13, 2010, 1:57:51 PM11/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Raghu ji ... this query was posted by you earlier (I could be mistaking).

This could be Stachytarpheta ... native of American tropics, widely naturalized / cultivated ... perhaps S. mutabilis as Shivaprakash ji had commented.

Regards.

Vijayasankar

Nov 13, 2010, 2:19:58 PM11/13/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is Stachytarpheta mutabilis. I have seen this on Nandi hills, Bangalore too.

Regards

Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Nov 13, 2010, 3:31:11 PM11/13/10
to Vijayasankar, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Stachytarpheta mutabilis I have a dried speciemen with me back in Inndia
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

raghu ananth

Nov 13, 2010, 3:47:43 PM11/13/10
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh ji,

You are right, This has been identified by Sri Adavanne earlier as S. mutabilis.

Due appologies for the mail repost.

Thanks for ID help again
Raghu

Nov 13, 2010, 3:56:19 PM11/13/10
to Vijayasankar, Dinesh Valke, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Stachytarpheta mutabilis Vahl Enum. Pl. [Vahl] i. 208. 1804.
Apologies for bad guessing!!!
Pankaj