Malvaceae week :: Pterospermum acerifolium

Dinesh Valke

Sep 8, 2011, 8:12:38 AM9/8/11
to efloraofindia
Pterospermum acerifolium (L.) Willd.
  • ter-oh-SPER-mum -- from the Greek pteron (wing) and sperma (seed)
    a-ser-ih-FOH-lee-um -- referring to leaves like that of maple tree

Muchukunda (Sanskrit: मुचुकुन्द)
Jul 16, 2008 along Ghodbunder Road near Gaimukh, Thane, Maharashtra

commonly known as: bayur tree, dinnerplate tree, maple-leaved bayur tree, maple-leaved lancewood, torch tree • Assamese: moragos • Bengali: মুচুকুন্দ mucukunda • Hindi: कनक चम्पा kanak champa, मुचकुन्द muchkund, पद्म पुष्प padma pushp, परिव्याध parivyadh • Konkani: श्रीपाद shripad (for P. diversifolium) • Malayalam: ചെറുകൊന്ന cerukonna, മലഞുടലി malanjutali • Marathi: कर्णिकार karnikar • Oriya: mushukundo • Sanskrit: कर्णिकार karnikar, मुचुकुन्द muchukunda • Sikkim: hathipaila • Tamil: வெண்ணங்கு vennangu • Telugu: matsakanda

Native to: India, Myanmar

Regards.
Dinesh

Balkar Arya

Sep 8, 2011, 12:01:19 PM9/8/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Common Garden tree here also
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Ushadi micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 2:05:34 PM9/8/11
to efloraofindia
I have one about a block from my home...
in april the road is strewn with the banana peel flower... people
collect them to dry and put in cupboards...
why donot know ... no scientific basis
Usha di forgot to tell you... your flower is in its prime...
wonderful...