201210-PR -For ID-Chennai.

Padmini Raghavan

Dec 20, 2010, 12:35:52 PM12/20/10
to indiantreepix
Please help me id the tree whose varied leaves I have photographed. Photography is not permitted in the Agri-hort garden, hence I have snapped some of the fallen leaves.
Someone has given me a hint that the leaves belong to a tree called the "Mad Tree" , SOMETHING diversifolia.
Please help me identify the "SOMETHING"
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
Tree at Agri-Horti 001.jpg
Tree at Agri-Horti 002.jpg
Tree at Agri-Horti 003.jpg
Tree at Agri-Horti 004.jpg

Vijayasankar

Dec 20, 2010, 12:49:44 PM12/20/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
It may be Pterospermum diversifolium.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Neil Soares

Dec 20, 2010, 1:23:35 PM12/20/10
to indiantreepix, Padmini Raghavan
Hi,
  This is Pterygota alata 'diversifolia' also called the 'Mad Tree'.
                         Regards,
                           Neil Soares.

tanay bose

Dec 20, 2010, 1:54:27 PM12/20/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Padmini Raghavan
Yes Pterygota alata, I first saw this tree in Indian Botanic garden as this plant has no prefect leaf shape
hence its called a mad tree
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Neil Soares

Dec 20, 2010, 11:27:38 PM12/20/10
to tanay bose, indiantreepix, Padmini Raghavan
Hi Tanay,
  Close but not exactly - it is called the 'Mad Tree' because no two of its leaves are of the same shape.
                 Regards,
                   Neil.

Vijayasankar

Dec 20, 2010, 11:43:34 PM12/20/10
to Neil Soares, tanay bose, indiantreepix, Padmini Raghavan
Thanks Mr.Neil, for the id and etymology.
The tri-lobed leaf in the picture deceived me to give that name.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

mani nair

Dec 20, 2010, 11:58:05 PM12/20/10
to Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, tanay bose, indiantreepix, Padmini Raghavan
Padmini ji, good you collected the fallen leaves. I am very curious as to why photography is not allowed in the Agri-hort garden?

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 21, 2010, 12:12:57 AM12/21/10
to Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, tanay bose, indiantreepix, Padmini Raghavan
People give very peculiar names to the plants based on their
perception and sometimes these names continue their use in local
language. Some times they even relate it to religion by attaching some
god's name to it. Thats a way of local nomenclature. It does help a
lot at time whereas creates confusion too. One such example is HABE
AMRI, which is a broken, molested, marathi word for HABENARIA and
nothign else according to me.

The plant growing in Howrah Botanic Garden which is called Mad Tree is
Chrysophyllum cainito. Bengalis also call it rasogulla tree, I imagine
why dont they call it Gulab Jamun tree as the fruits are dark bluish
brinjal or brown like a Gulab Jamun.

Pterygota alata "diversifolia" is called Mad Tree or Buddha's coconut!!

Regards
Pankaj

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pardeshi S.

Dec 21, 2010, 12:26:25 AM12/21/10
to efloraofindia
I had seen the Mad tree at Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian
Botanical Garden, Howrah, it is Pterygota alata.
Regards
Satish Pardeshi
> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi Tanay,
> >>   Close but not exactly - it is called the 'Mad Tree' because no two of its leaves are of the same shape.
> >>                  Regards,
> >>                    Neil.

Mahadeswara

Dec 21, 2010, 5:51:04 AM12/21/10
to efloraofindia
Attn: Dr. Padmini,
You may photograph this plant in Theosophical society, Adyar, Chennai.
>  Tree at Agri-Horti 001.jpg
> 138KViewDownload
>
>  Tree at Agri-Horti 002.jpg
> 137KViewDownload
>
>  Tree at Agri-Horti 003.jpg
> 136KViewDownload
>
>  Tree at Agri-Horti 004.jpg
> 141KViewDownload

Mahadeswara

Dec 21, 2010, 5:51:50 AM12/21/10
to efloraofindia
Sorry it is tree, I mentioned it as plant in my previous mail.

Satish Phadke

Dec 21, 2010, 10:17:20 AM12/21/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
One person also told me about a mad tree in Kolkata botanical garden but I couldn't locate it.......

Padmini Raghavan

Dec 22, 2010, 1:51:55 PM12/22/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Now you are making me doubt whether the tree I took to be the Buddha Coconut, in Bangalore , is really that.
Its leaves are so uniform and different from this Mad Tree.
Please do confirm.
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.

Bang. May 7--2010. 001.jpg
Bang. May 7--2010. 002.jpg
Bang. May 7--2010. 006.jpg
Bang. May 7--2010. 009.jpg
Bang. May 7--2010. 015.jpg

Neil Soares

Dec 22, 2010, 9:16:30 PM12/22/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, Vijayasankar, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Hi,
 The tree featured here is Buddha's Coconut [Pterygota alata]. The 'Mad Tree' [Pterygota alata 'diversifolia'] is a varient of this. It is propagated by cuttings or air-layering.
                          With regards,
                            Neil Soares.

Padmini Raghavan

Dec 23, 2010, 12:32:30 PM12/23/10
to Neil Soares, Pankaj Kumar, Vijayasankar, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Hi Neil,
Thanks for the explanation. Does this mean that this is an aberration like the Ficus Krishnae which is obtained only from cuttings?
I sowed seeds of the Buddha Coconut and the leaves of the saplings are just like the parent tree.
Rgds,
Padmini Raghavan.

Neil Soares

Dec 23, 2010, 9:35:15 PM12/23/10
to Padmini Raghavan, Pankaj Kumar, Vijayasankar, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Affirmative Padmini,
              Regards,
               Neil Soares.