Palm tree for ID : 151210-AK-2

Aarti S. Khale

Dec 15, 2010, 3:20:07 AM12/15/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
At the same Peradeniya Gardens in Kandy, Sri Lanka.

Aarti

P1100978.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 4, 2011, 7:40:29 AM1/4/11
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1475 members & 57,000 messages on 16/12/10 & with a database of around 4400 species on 30/11/10)

P1100978.JPG

Pudji Widodo

Jan 5, 2011, 5:08:21 AM1/5/11
to efloraofindia
It looks like Borassus flabellifer L.
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO INDONESIA

Vijayasankar

Jan 6, 2011, 12:40:46 AM1/6/11
to Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Aarti ji for sharing these pictures. I think i got the id, finally.

It is nothing but the very famous 'double coconut' palm, Lodoicea maldivica

There is a single female tree in India, growing in the Indian Botanical Gardens in Kolkata. And the nearest male tree is in Sri Lanka (Peradenia garden). The scientists in IBG said they have to get pollen from Sri Lanka when flowers in both the trees are active.
And the pollen have to be dusted over the stigma before it looses its receptivity. And the viability period of pollen needs to be considered, too. The experts here are trying their best to get the tree pollinated and get set fruits. This is the story in 2009 and i don't know the present situation.

I wish the scientists all success in their noble endeavors.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 6, 2011, 1:44:31 AM1/6/11
to Vijayasankar, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
I told that already, there is one male and another female plant of
double coconut, Lodoicea maldivica. Seems like I missed.
Regards
Pankaj

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Aarti ji for sharing these pictures. I think i got the id, finally.
>
> It is nothing but the very famous 'double coconut' palm, >

> There is a single female tree in India, growing in the Indian Botanical
> Gardens in Kolkata. And the nearest male tree is in Sri Lanka (Peradenia
> garden). The scientists in IBG said they have to get pollen from Sri Lanka
> when flowers in both the trees are active.
> And the pollen have to be dusted over the stigma before it looses its
> receptivity. And the viability period of pollen needs to be considered, too.
> The experts here are trying their best to get the tree pollinated and get
> set fruits. This is the story in 2009 and i don't know the present
> situation.
>
> I wish the scientists all success in their noble endeavors.
>
> Regards
>

> Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
> Post Doctoral Research Associate
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> Thad Cochran Research Center
> University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
> Phone: +1 662 915 1018
>

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Aarti S. Khale <aarti...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> At the same Peradeniya Gardens in Kandy, Sri Lanka.
>>
>> Aarti

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

D.S Rawat

Apr 8, 2016, 5:01:18 AM4/8/16
to efloraofindia, aarti...@gmail.com
Vijayaskankar Ji
Long efforts have fruited now.
Here is the success story published in Current Science:

 http://www.currentscience.ac.in/Volumes/110/06/0976.pdf

Regards.
DSRawat Pantnagar

Vijayasankar Raman

Apr 9, 2016, 1:21:53 AM4/9/16
to D.S Rawat, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
Wow! Wonderful!!
Thanks Rawat ji for this information and link to the article! It's really a great news...first fruits of the species in India!
I am so glad that Dr. Hameed and his team have finally succeeded after long efforts...

Vijayasankar

Vijayasankar Raman
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, USA

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 9, 2016, 11:08:53 AM4/9/16
to Vijayasankar Raman, D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
Rawat Ji,
Great reading.
When I saw these Palm trees in Peradeniya with fruits, I didn't know how special and rare they were.
Regards,
Aarti

Satish Phadke

May 14, 2016, 6:34:01 AM5/14/16
to Aarti S. Khale, Vijayasankar Raman, D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Dr Satish Phadke

Ushadi Micromini

May 15, 2016, 12:58:08 PM5/15/16
to Satish Phadke, Aarti S. Khale, Vijayasankar Raman, D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
i have  seen the tree
nothing spectacular when not fruiting

so now one/i 😉 needs to keep an eye open  when in the garden

Thanks Dr Rawat for reminding and Vijaya for the initial story of its rarity.
usha di
Usha di