Lamiaceae & Verbenaceae Week: Lamiaceae - Vitex negundo

Dinesh Valke

Jul 5, 2011, 3:24:39 PM7/5/11
to efloraofindia
Vitex negundo L.
  • VY-teks -- Latin name for the Grape genus
  • neg-UN-doh: -- Latinised form of the Sanskrit name for this plant

Vitex negundo
Apr 7, 2007 near Bhaja Caves, Malavali

commonly known as: chaste tree, five-leaved chaste tree, Indian privet • Assamese: পচতীয়া pachatia • Bengali: নিসিন্দা nisinda • Gujarati: નગોડ nagod • Hindi: इन्द्राणी indrani, नदीकान्त nadikant, निर्गुण्ठी nirgunthi, निसिन्धु ni-sindhu, सम्भालू sambhalu, सिन्धुवार sindhuvaara • Kannada: ಲಕ್ಕಿ lakki • Konkani: निंगुड nimgud, निर्गुंडी nirgundi • Malayalam: കരുനൊച്ചി karu-neaacci, നൊച്ചി neaacci, വെണ്‍നൊച്ചി venneaacci • Manipuri: urik shibi • Marathi: इंद्राणी indrani, निगूड niguda, निर्गुंडी nirgundi • Mizo: thingkhawilupa •Nepalese: पाँच्-पाते panch-pate • Oriya: niligundi • Pali: निग्गुंडी niggundi, सिंदुवार sinduvara • Punjabi: ਮਰਵਨ marwan, ਮਰਵੰਦੇ marwande, ਨੀਨਦੀ níndí, ਸਮਭਾਲੂ sambhálú • Sanskrit: इन्द्राणी indrani, निर्गुण्टिका nirgunthika, निसिन्धु nisindhu, शेपालम् sepalham, सिन्दुवारः sinduvarh • Tamil: வெண்ணொச்சி vennocci • Telugu: శంబళి sambali, సిందువారము sinduvaramu, వావిలి vavili • Urdu: نرگنٿهي nirgunthi, سمبهالو sambhalu

Native to: e & s Africa and Asia; widely naturalised and cultivated

  • Vavili (Telugu: వావిలి) ... Apr 7, 2007 near Bhaja Caves, Malavali
  • Nirgundi (Konkani: निर्गुंडी) ... Jan 13, 2008 in premises of Mahabaleshwar temple
  • Nirgunthika (Sanskrit: निर्गुण्टिका) ... Feb 17, 2008 at Mahabaleshwar
  • Nisinda (Bengali: নিসিন্দা) ... Mar 11, 2009 at Purandar fort

Regards.
Dinesh

H S

Jul 6, 2011, 2:23:33 AM7/6/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
leaves with serrated margin is var. incisa

 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Dinesh Valke

Jul 6, 2011, 2:29:06 AM7/6/11
to H S, efloraofindia
Many thanks for this ID information, HS.
Regards.
Dinesh

Ushadi micromini

Jul 6, 2011, 2:39:13 AM7/6/11
to efloraofindia
Chaste tree is listed here... I thought Vitex vitex was the chaste
tree ... not Vites negundo...or nishinde pata in Bengali....
Usha di
=======