calanthe id al021018a

Alok & Isabelle

Feb 18, 2011, 3:48:21 AM2/18/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pankaj ji,
How's that for the numbering... anyway takes time to change bad
habits... :))
The details ... hmmm... lets see what I remember....

Location : Kalatope sanctuary Chamba
Altitude 2300 mts
Plant habitat: wild
height: 20 inches
time of blooming: april

Regards sincerely
Alok
--
Himalayan Village Education Trust
Village Khudgot,

dscn2995.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 3, 2011, 9:33:58 AM3/3/11
to indiantreepix, Alok
Dear Alok Sir,
Yes this numbering will be fine.
The plant here is

Calanthe plantaginea Lindl., Gen. Sp. Orchid. Pl.: 250 (1833).

It has been reported from Himachal in past but your collection seems
to have been made after a long gap.
Thanks a lot for sharing.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

dscn2995.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 3, 2011, 9:34:29 AM3/3/11
to Alok & Isabelle, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delay. I somehow skipped this.
Pankaj

Alok & Isabelle

Mar 5, 2011, 10:01:39 AM3/5/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Pankaj ji,
Sorry I could not reply back too... we've been without electricity.. totally cut off from the world since last three days... After reading about the calanthe description on the net that it grows at the end of winter and early spring, I went searching today... Guess it is too early, did not find a trace..
maybe little later.. It was the only orchid I found of it's type in the sanctuary...
Sincere regards
Alok

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 20:04 +0530, Pankaj Kumar wrote:
Sorry for the delay. I somehow skipped this.
Pankaj

--
Himalayan Village Education Trust
Village Khudgot,
P.O. Dalhousie
District Chamba
H.P. 176304, India
www.hive.interconnection.org

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 5, 2011, 9:57:59 AM3/5/11
to Alok & Isabelle, indian...@googlegroups.com
Can you please let me know the elevational details of the sanctuary?
Himachal is very much unexplored with respect to orchids. I remember in one week of my stay in Himachal we found 4 new records for the state. Unfortunately we couldnt publish them somehow. Would certainly like to meet you sometime and do some exploration in the nearby areas of Chamba, if you dont mind.
Regards
Pankaj

manudev madhavan

Mar 6, 2011, 10:45:37 PM3/6/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Alok & Isabelle, indian...@googlegroups.com
We have another species here, Calanthae sylvatica
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

Alok Mahendroo

Mar 27, 2011, 1:14:21 PM3/27/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear friends,
The Calanthe season is in full swing...
as id'd by Pankaj ji... Calanthe plantaginea
Thank you
Regards
Alok

www.hivetrust.wordpress.com