Pl. confirm

Rakesh

Jun 21, 2011, 6:25:43 AM6/21/11
to Indiantreepix
I’ve planted this one in my garden. Locally identified as ‘MAROOAH’ plant. The leaves & flowers are scented, somewhat identical to TULSI but much more scented. Plant has grown to a height of around 2 ft. & is a shrub. This has been planted under shade but still it is doing good. Please identify this one as I’ve tried to search under the name ‘MAROOAH’ but did not get any near results. I’ve searched for ‘Tulsi’ also but no results.

Rakesh Khedwal
DSC01298.JPG

Nidhan Singh

Jun 21, 2011, 12:57:20 PM6/21/11
to Rakesh, Indiantreepix
I think this is Ocimum basilicum also known as "Niazbo".

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

formp...@yahoo.com

Jun 21, 2011, 3:18:48 PM6/21/11
to Rakesh, Efloraindia
Search for marawa. May be?
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: "Rakesh" <dineshel...@live.in>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:55:43 +0530
To: Indiantreepix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [efloraofindia:72242] Pl. confirm

Ushadi micromini

Jun 21, 2011, 3:24:58 PM6/21/11
to Rakesh, efloraofindia
Your Basil is a culinary Basil originating from Thailand, known as
Basil Siam Queen...called in in Thailand as "Horapha".

Notice the inflorescence's anatomy... its NOT A SPIKE...
seems to be a bunch... a cyme or a corymb...
and the leaves are large, light green..

Secret of growing culinary basil to eat in italian cooking for pasta
or pizza etc is to not to let it go to flower...
becomes bitter...pinching the top keeps the leaves tender and taste
just right, ..
.
although i must confess I loved seeing these flowers, they are just
sooo beautiful...
Usha di

n Jun 21, 3:25 pm, "Rakesh" <dineshelectric...@live.in> wrote:
> I’ve planted this one in my garden. Locally identified as ‘MAROOAH’ plant. The leaves & flowers are scented, somewhat identical to TULSI but much more scented. Plant has grown to a height of around 2 ft. & is a shrub. This has been planted under shade but still it is doing good. Please identify this one as I’ve tried to search under the name ‘MAROOAH’ but did not get any near results. I’ve searched for ‘Tulsi’ also but no results.
>
> Rakesh Khedwal
>

>  DSC01298.JPG
> 533KViewDownload

Ushadi micromini

Jun 21, 2011, 3:38:55 PM6/21/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, efloraofindia
Madhuri: Marawa in gujarati is the Lantana whose leaf smells when
crushed... earthy ++ unripe mango like....
and its very distinctive, once experienced one does not forget...
may be its the same with some of these culinary herbs,....
Usha di
-------

On Jun 22, 12:18 am, formpeja...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Search for marawa. May be?
> Madhuri
> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Vijayasankar

Jun 21, 2011, 4:59:17 PM6/21/11
to Ushadi micromini, formp...@yahoo.com, efloraofindia
This Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum), once native to India & Persia, is said to be considered by Hindus as a passport to heaven when buried with them.
This was a 'Royal herb' for ancient Greeks, it seems. http://www.azarboretum.org/plantlist/basil.htm

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Vijayasankar

Jun 21, 2011, 5:03:08 PM6/21/11
to Ushadi micromini, formp...@yahoo.com, efloraofindia
This is a common kitchen herbal garden plant in TN.
Tamil name: திருநீற்றுப் பச்சிலை (Thiruneetru pachchilai).
Leaf-juice is administered into painful ear for quick relief.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Ushadi micromini

Jun 22, 2011, 12:43:21 AM6/22/11
to efloraofindia
Yes Dr. Raman,
you are right....as I re-read my own message...
I forgot to mention the binomial name of culinary or sweet basil....
it is indeed * Ocimum basilicum *,
whatever country or continent it grows in....

and its nice to know its cultivated in TN..

here in cal/kol its "imported" from Bangalore gardens and only the
stores with refrigeration facility carry them...

Usha di
-----------

On Jun 22, 1:59 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum), once native to India & Persia, is said
> to be considered by Hindus as a passport to heaven when buried with them.
> This was a 'Royal herb' for ancient Greeks, it seems.http://www.azarboretum.org/plantlist/basil.htm
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 22, 2011, 1:18:43 AM6/22/11
to Ushadi micromini, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Dear Ushadi
1.From the link you have given  I could recollect that I have seen this plant quite frequently in some trecks or outings in villages. But did not know the name, neither veracular nor botanical. The leaf of this plant smells like Tulasi and hence is called as Jangali Tulas.
2.The Marawa explaination you have send: Lantana in Marathi is called Ghaneri. Why I dont know. Actually Ghaneri means bad smelling, but some how i personally and many who accompany me on outings like the smell of Lantana and flowers too. No dout it is species camara.
3,Marawa  smells different than Lantana, very nice and cooling smell. It is offered to god. Has a good importance in pooja especially in Ganapati and Gauri festivels.Not very sure but is used in retuals after death,
It is used by the Fisherwoman community in the garlands which they put on their hairstyle(called Veni)
we have a song in Marathi
 Pachu Hirwa Ghalun Marwa
that is wearing a green sari and Marawa in hair
have started getting a doubt again now whether Marawa flowers like this??????
Some Marathi botanist pl
Madhuri