29/04/2011/YRP/01/Chethalayam, Wayanad,Kerala.

Yazdy Palia

Apr 29, 2011, 10:28:59 AM4/29/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Pictures of Gmelina arborea, tree, leaves and fruits.
Date & Time 29/04/2011
Location: Place, Altitude, GPS Chethalayam, Wayanad.
Habitat: Garden, Urban, Wild Type: Wild
Plant Habit: Tree, Shrub, Climber, Herb Tree
Height, Length.
Leaves Type, Shape, Size
Inflorescence Type Size
Flowers Size Colour Calyx Bracts-
Fruits Type, Shape, Size Seeds
Other Information like Frangrance, Pollinator, Uses.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

You have been sent 4 pictures.

IMG_5576.JPG
IMG_5578.JPG
IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5592.JPG

IMG_5576.JPG
IMG_5578.JPG
IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5592.JPG

Neil Soares

Apr 29, 2011, 12:56:18 PM4/29/11
to indiantreepix, Yazdy Palia
Hi Yazdy,
  Am not really convinced that this is Shivan [Gmelina arborea]. Please check. My photographs of Shivan for comparison are in the archives of this site. Will send them again if required.
                   Regards,
                    Neil.

Yazdy Palia

Apr 29, 2011, 1:07:54 PM4/29/11
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Hi Neil,
I would be obliged if you could send it for me please. Am poor at locating them. This is called Kumbil in Malayalam and when I looked for Kumbil I found the botanical name. It  is possible that I have made a mistake. The fruit of this tree is very popular with my Malabar squirrels, with my barking deers and quite often, in the forests people lay traps or wait for deers at the foot of this tree where they are sitting ducks.
Regards
Yazdy.

Neil Soares

Apr 29, 2011, 1:16:37 PM4/29/11
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Hi Yazdy,
   This looks like Bhokar {Cordia dichotoma]. Sending you some of my photographs of a Bhokar tree which looks very similar. This tree was photographed at Karnala WLS and identified by Dr.Almeida.
Cordia dichotoma, Bhokar.jpg
Cordia dichotoma leaves.jpg
Bhokar fruit.jpg

Neil Soares

Apr 29, 2011, 1:20:25 PM4/29/11
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Hi Yazdy,
  Also as requested - here is the link:

                              Regards,
                               Neil Soares.

Apr 29, 2011, 1:59:17 PM4/29/11
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Dear Neil,
To me your the leaves, the fruits in your pictures of Shivan and my pictures are the same. The leaves in your picture of Chordia Dichotoma is totally different and the fruits are round whereas the fruits in my picture is having a pointed tip.
However you know am a novice and let us leave it to other experts to identify.
regards
Yazdy.

Mahadeswara

Apr 29, 2011, 11:43:57 PM4/29/11
to efloraofindia
This is not Gmelina. I will post the Gmelina arborea pictures in a
few days . There are many trees nearby my house.
>  IMG_5576.JPG
> 279KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5578.JPG
> 250KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5591.JPG
> 284KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5592.JPG
> 195KViewDownload

Vijayasankar

Apr 30, 2011, 12:30:55 AM4/30/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Yazdy ji's picture of fruiting twig may be of Cordia obliqua var. tomentosa (not very sure, but).
However, the image of seedling is of Gmelina arborea, i think. Young leaves are variously angled/dentate in G.arborea.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Yazdy Palia

Apr 30, 2011, 12:47:04 AM4/30/11
to Vijayasankar, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Vijayasankar Raman ji,
There is no seedling. The tender leaves that you notice is a shoot
from the large tree. The first picture of two raw fruits is from one
tree, whereas the rest of the pictures are from another tree. The
picture of the second tree was taken because, the first tree is too
tall and the pictures are not very clear. The tender leaves, and the
tree bearing ripe fruits are from the second tree.
Regards.
Yazdy.

Mahadeswara

Apr 30, 2011, 1:46:15 AM4/30/11
to efloraofindia

Could be C.wallichii syn. C.obliqua var. wallichii ; C.tomentosa.
Please check for the following characters for confirmation. Grey
stellate Leaves broadly ovate with 2 basal nerves, pubescent
undersides of the leaves ( debsely grey stellate opubescent undersides
of leaves). Larger flowers compared to C.myxa with white hairy calyx
lobes and the ovoid or globose, acuminate orange fruit.
This tree is common in Coorg and Western Ghats.
(Ref. Forest trees of South India by S G Neginahal, I F S ) pp.
266, publ. 2004)
Any change in the name may also be checked by the expert taxonomists.
M.Swamy

Vijayasankar

Apr 30, 2011, 2:26:09 AM4/30/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Thanks Yazdy ji, for the explanation.
But, to me, these pictures represent at least three trees (i may be wrong, though): Tree 1-unripe fruit (IMG 5576); Tree 2-ripe fruits (IMG 5591). These two must be Cordia, as also stated by Neil ji and Mahadeswara ji, as the fruiting calyx is enlarged and persistent. The young leaves (pl check the following links to see leaf margin) and the twig with only leaves (i.e. IMG 5592; pl see the leaves are different from that of IMG 5591) may be from one tree which i think is Gmelina arborea. But only you can confirm this.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0HaYveCOm0A/S7ywYOmVNvI/AAAAAAAAAwE/Nb6Uwlf3fAM/s1600/Kumil+from+protrays+to+polybags.JPG
http://bp2.blogger.com/_7ZW7ylEmOTM/R6ZofWpxAzI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/jZE93oGus78/s1600-h/Gmelina+arborea,+Shivan+4.JPG

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Yazdy Palia

May 3, 2011, 8:55:53 AM5/3/11
to Vijayasankar, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Friends, I seem to have created quite a bit of confusion. Have however
just taken pictures of the two trees separately. Shall attach the
pictures and hopefully, we should have a clear picture. Or, I think it
would be better we close the thread and send the pictures of the two
trees separately.
Regards
Yazdy.