Malvaceae Week- Thanks To All

Balkar Arya

Sep 11, 2011, 8:51:27 PM9/11/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Members
2-3 Months before when Dr Gurcharan Singh Ji proposed the name of families for coming week of families, I decided to co-ordinate Malvaceae Week. at That time my choice was just by Chance. I was not expecting such a huge response. Contribution of Gurcharan Ji, Dinesh ji, Satish Ji, Ushadi ji, Raghu Ji, Ranjini Ji, Nalini Ji, Madhuri Ji, Vijayasankar Ji, Mani Ji, Ritesh Ji, Narender Ji, Muthu Ji, Mohina Ji, Shrikant Ji, Prashant Ji and a few names i might have missed, by there lots of pics made this week a grand Success. More than 2000 posts in Malvaceae week in about 310 threads has covered about 170-180 plants and made this week an interesting week. Although Me in this week also could not contribute much due to paucity of time. Even some pics of this family still remain unidentified with me. I will try to post some of them today.

I thank you all for your whole hearted efforts for making this week a colorful, successful week. Specially, continuous efforts of Gurcharan Ji, Dinesh Ji, Satish Ji and Ushadi Ji were a great source of Inspiration for all of us. Many many thanks and hats off to you

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 11, 2011, 10:36:31 PM9/11/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Yes Balkar ji
It was a great success, thanks to the efforts of many members. Another great contribution of this episode was the high quality of photographs uploaded by ur veteran members Satish ji, Dinesh ji and Prashant ji, besides many others.
      Malvaceae family among other things is mainly diagnosed for species on the basis of epicalyx, staminal column and fruit type especially number of mericarps in many. In future episodes, perhaps we will advise members, what characters to focus on.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Sep 12, 2011, 12:45:21 AM9/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
A wonderful deluging week!!!
I think unparallelled response in efi history after fruits & vegetables week.
Thanks everybody.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5500 species)

Vijayasankar

Sep 12, 2011, 1:24:37 AM9/12/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Congrats, Balkar ji for successfully coordinating the Malvaceae week episode. It was a real feast for eyes and also very informative. The episode, like the previous ones, showcased enormous team spirit and overwhelming responses. Though I couldn't contribute much due to time constraints, I enjoyed viewing/reading the posts. Thanks to all who made the episode a grand success.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Satish Phadke

Sep 12, 2011, 1:56:26 AM9/12/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear Balkar ji
Congrats for successful Malvaceae week.
You said you couldn't contribute much.
My perception: Not only your contribution in the week but your contribution in last few months is responsible for the overwhelming response to this Malvaceae week.
Incidentally few posts just before the start of Malvaceae week also belong to Family : Malvaceae.
Great show! Thanks once again.
Regards
Dr Satish Phadke

formp...@yahoo.com

Sep 12, 2011, 3:55:31 AM9/12/11
to Vijayasankar, Efloraindia, Balkar Arya
Totally agreed. I feel not only the episode but you are sreering the whole group itslf. Setting the landmarks in photography and directing the group to specifications required.
Congrats
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 00:24:37 -0500
To: Balkar Arya<balka...@gmail.com>
Cc: indiantreepix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:81353] Malvaceae Week- Thanks To All

Ushadi micromini

Sep 12, 2011, 9:25:01 AM9/12/11
to efloraofindia
wow...
now how do we use this resource?

Did this response cover most/all the major subfamily... tribe...
genera...
can something be made of this?

Tremendous job Balkar ji...
Usha di
=====

On Sep 12, 12:55 pm, formpeja...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Totally agreed. I feel not only the episode but you are sreering the whole group itslf. Setting the landmarks in photography and directing the group to specifications required.
> Congrats
> Madhuri
> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 12, 2011, 9:45:31 AM9/12/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Ushadi
We already have most pages (covering 53 genera) largely due the efforts of Dinesh ji and Garg ji. We have only to add links to the new species (under existing genera) or new genera pages for the new species that are being uploaded.

There is a lot of work to be done, and every one can do his or her bit.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Sep 12, 2011, 9:52:39 AM9/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot to all for kind words

Dinesh Valke

Sep 12, 2011, 10:13:01 AM9/12/11
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Balkar ji ... it indeed was a great family week !! ... your encouragement helped all of us.
Regards.
Dinesh

raghu ananth

Sep 12, 2011, 2:33:24 PM9/12/11
to Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Malvaceae week - it rained for seven consecutive days. Thanks to  all members for their wholehearted contribution and enlivened interaction. Special thanks to moderators, cordinator Balkar ji and Gurucharan ji.

Regards
Raghu

Sep 13, 2011, 8:27:18 AM9/13/11
to raghu ananth, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Congrats, Balkar ji. It was really a colorful week and I learnt a
lot about Malvaceae family. Thanks for succesfully coordinating the
Malvaceae week episode.
Cheers !!
Mani

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 13, 2011, 8:51:56 AM9/13/11
to Balkar Arya, raghu ananth, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, mani nair
Congratulations Balkar Ji!
Last week we all were very active and I learned about many new plants. It was such a nice learning experience.
Learning plants from all corners of India (sometimes from parts of world as well) while working in the southern end of the country can be possible only through our group.
Further such a nice able coordination is much appreciable with a salute (words would fail in such instances)

Thank you for the same and keep going we all are accompanying you.
Thanks to Gurcharan Singh Ji, Garg Ji, the Hero of Malvaceae Week Balkar Ji and all members for their active involvement in the much appreciated week of learning process.

Thanks and Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD