Fruits & Vegetables Week: Citrus medica var. sarcodactylis, the Budha's hand

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 10, 2011, 1:47:59 AM1/10/11
to efloraofindia
Citrus medica var. sarcodactylis, the Budha's hand, finger citron, flesh-finger citron.  is a fragrant citron variety whose fruit is segmented into finger-like sections

The fruit has a thick peel and only a small amount of acidic flesh (if any) and is juiceless and sometimes seedless. It is very fragrant and is used predominantly by the Chinese and Japanese for perfuming rooms and personal items, such as clothing. The peel of the fruit can be candied into succade. In Western cooking, it is often used for its zest. The inner white pith is not bitter as is usually the case with citrus, so the fingers may be cut off and then longitudinally sliced, peel, pith, and all, and used in salads or scattered over cooked foods such as fish.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Citrus-medica-sarcodactylis-Budhas citron-California-1.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 10, 2011, 9:55:07 AM1/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Ohh my god !! I have never seen a lime like this
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ritesh Choudhary

Jan 10, 2011, 8:22:07 PM1/10/11
to efloraofindia
Ohh..Its very unusual! I too have never seen this. Thanks a lot sir
for sharing this.

Regards,
Ritesh.

nabha meghani

Jan 11, 2011, 7:07:30 AM1/11/11
to efloraofindia
yes, very interesting! Never seen here in Germany.
Regards
Nalini

Jan 11, 2011, 7:10:47 AM1/11/11
to nabha meghani, efloraofindia
Yes interesting to look at. I found few specimens in weekly farmers bazaar in Sunnyvale, California

There is plenty of information on the net

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Jan 11, 2011, 9:51:02 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, nabha meghani, efloraofindia

Very Unusual plant Sir, thankyou for sharing the same.

regards,
Rashida.

Yazdy Palia

Jan 13, 2011, 12:59:47 PM1/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you for sharing this Dr. Gurcharan Singh Ji. Am coming across
this for the first time.
Regards
Yazdy.