Fruits and Vegetables week: January 3 to 9, 2011; Coordinator Dinesh Valke

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 23, 2010, 4:49:30 PM12/23/10
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, itp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends
Our next episode is going to be a very interesting one:From Monday, January 3 to Sunday, January 9, 2011, This important episode to be coordinated by Mr. Dinesh Valke. I request members to show maximum participation by uploading both identified as well as photographs meant for ID. I would also request members to photograph as many fruits and vegetables sold in markets and stores, and also plants (cultivated or wild) with leaves, flowers and fruits, used in various ways as fruits and vegetables.

Our future episodes

January-2011.......Fruits and Vegetables (Dinesh Valke)
February.............Commelinaceae (Mayur Nandikar)
March.................Euphorbiaceae (Rashida Atthar)
April...................Solanaceae (any member may volunteer)

Members may also suggest other groups, volunteer for acting as coordinator and indicate month of their choice.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 31, 2010, 9:40:28 PM12/31/10
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, itp...@googlegroups.com
Starting from Monday, January 3, we have our episode on Fruits and Vegetables.

I would suggest that all posts concerning Fruits and Vegetables during the week should have subject line starting with "Fruits & Vegetables" followed by a portion unique for that post so that the thread remains unique and does not break.
    It would also be useful if once a member has initiated a thread with photographs of a particular species/cultivar, other members should add their photographs of that particular species/cultivar in the same thread. This will help in consolidation of the database information.

   Looking forward for another exciting episode next week.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Phadke

Jan 3, 2011, 10:19:18 AM1/3/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Gurcharan ji and Others
Considering the huge number of posts I think we should call it a month rather than a week. As it is we find it difficult to cover many species in a week. Just a suggestion...........
Dr Phadke

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 3, 2011, 10:21:55 AM1/3/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
I agree, infact in the beginning it was put forward as month itself!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

J.M. Garg

Jan 3, 2011, 11:43:36 PM1/3/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
I agree with Satish ji & Pankaj ji.
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1475 members & 57,000 messages on 16/12/10 & with a database of around 4400 species on 30/11/10)

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 4, 2011, 12:45:52 PM1/4/11
to J.M. Garg, itp...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Yes, it seems with so many fruits and vegetables at stake it may run the whole month. It would be good for me personally because I am preparing for return to India, flying back on 5th night, and may not be able to contribute fully during the week.
    Since it is a monthly venture, one group each month, I would suggest that we can make exception for fruits and vegetables to extend for one fortnight, otherwise running the whole month may ignore general uploads. Doing every episode for whole month may be affecting the general plants. More so it may be a difficult proposition for the coordinator to pull the whole month. Otherwise very few members are coming forward to coordinate.
    Dinesh ji may kindly consider and extend it to one fortnight if he feels convenient. I would request him to announce accordingly.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Jan 4, 2011, 2:53:30 PM1/4/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, itp...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Many thanks for coming forward ... given each of us sufficient time, the entire month too would prove a short span of time to share and cover this subject.

Let us stretch posting dedicated to FRUITS & VEGETABLES until the week ending with Sun 16 ... however there is no stopping those keen on posting yet further during the month ... such postings are anyway encouraged as identified additions to the database.
Queries related to IDs of FRUITS & VEGETABLES or in general any plant, may be posted anytime during the month with the regular restraint (max 3 ID queries per day).

Happy posting.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 4, 2011, 3:03:45 PM1/4/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg
Thanks Dinesh
That to my mind is the best solution for this episode.

We continue this episode on Fruits & Vegetables up to 16th of this month. Let the Subject line prefix remain the Same "Fruits & Vegetables Week:"