Khejri tree

mani nair

Nov 27, 2010, 9:45:44 PM11/27/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending a photo of Khejri tree, State tree of Rajasthan.

Place :  Jaisalmer, Rajasthan
Habitat :  Wild

Regards,

Mani.

khej1.jpg
khej3.jpg
khej4.jpg
khej2.jpg
khej5.jpg

mani nair

Nov 27, 2010, 9:51:31 PM11/27/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, the place is :  Afri Nursery, Arid Forest Research Institute, Jodhpur, Rajasthan.

Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Nov 27, 2010, 10:17:19 PM11/27/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Botanically known as Prosopis cineraria
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

manjula mathur

Nov 28, 2010, 4:48:33 AM11/28/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have  seen the Khejri trees in Rajasthan when they are bereft of leaves. When they do have them the leaves are dark green and give the tree a wispy look.Your pics are wonderful. I will take a better look at the tree when I am in Jaipur again . I  have been told that the tree has many uses including usage as food.
                                                                                     Regards   Manjula Mathur

mani nair

Nov 28, 2010, 6:23:21 AM11/28/10
to manjula mathur, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Manjula ji.  I have also seen the trees in Jaisalmer.  One cowherd boy told me that the tree has many uses.  It is eaten by camels and goats.   Its leaves are used as green manure. A  dish is made using its leaves.  The tree is draught resistant.  There is one saying in Rajasthan that one whose house has a Khejri tree, a Camel and a goat will not die of starvation.

Regards,

Mani Nair.