Pl Identify this tree at Hiranandani vskid5

Vinayak Sharad Kulkarni

Dec 5, 2010, 12:09:11 PM12/5/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Date/Time:- 23rd October 2010
Location:- Hiranandani gardens, powai, mumbai, maharashtra
Altitude:- Sea level

Habitat:- Garden/ Urban

Plant Habit- Tree

Height/Length:- 30ft

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size:- as seen in photos

Inflorescence Type/ Size:- not seen

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts:- not seen

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds:- not seen

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.:- This seems to be evergreen ornamental tree

Tree 01.JPG
Tree 02.JPG
Tree 03.JPG
Tree 04.JPG
Tree 05.JPG

Vijayasankar

Dec 5, 2010, 4:44:50 PM12/5/10
to Vinayak Sharad Kulkarni, indian...@googlegroups.com
It can be Pisonia alba.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Pudji Widodo

Dec 7, 2010, 2:58:47 AM12/7/10
to efloraofindia
I also think Pisonia alba Span (Nyctaginaceae). We call it Kol Banda,
Some Javanese people believe that ghost likes this plant.

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

On Dec 6, 4:44 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It can be *Pisonia alba*.
>
> Regards

> Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
> Post Doctoral Research Associate
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> Thad Cochran Research Center
> University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
> Phone: +1 662 915 1018
>
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Vinayak Sharad Kulkarni <
>
> kulkarni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Date/Time:-* 23rd October 2010*
> > Location:- *Hiranandani gardens, powai, mumbai, maharashtra*
> > Altitude:- *Sea level *
>
> > Habitat:- *Garden**/ Urban*
>
> > Plant Habit- *Tree** *
>
> > Height/Length:- *30ft*
>
> > Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size:- *as seen in photos*
>
> > Inflorescence Type/ Size:- *not seen*
>
> > Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts:- *not seen*
>
> > Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds:- *not seen*
>
> > Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.:- *This seems to
> > be evergreen ornamental tree *

Mahadeswara

Dec 7, 2010, 7:02:57 AM12/7/10
to efloraofindia
Pisonia alba. Very common plant in Chennai. Leaves are edible and
used for cooking. The leaves have medicinal value. Cattle's
favourite and they graze happily the leaves and stems.
The plant is an horticulturists' favourite in Chennai ; more often
than not, used for developing hedges alternating with red Acalypha
in Gardens.