shrub for id please

Padmini Raghavan

Nov 4, 2010, 3:09:22 PM11/4/10
to indiantreepix
This low growing plant was full of flowers which looked like miniature Lagerstroemia indica flowers.
It is blooming now in Chennai after the rains.

 The last two pics were taken in July and show the whole plant and its berries.
 Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
Is this a kind of Lagerstroemia. 001.jpg
Is this a kind of Lagerstroemia. 002.jpg
Is this a kind of Lagerstroemia. 003.jpg
Is this a kind of Lagerstroemia. 005.jpg
Is this a kind of Lagerstroemia. 006.jpg
Flower like a Lagerstroemia. 001.jpg
Flower like a Lagerstroemia. 003.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 4, 2010, 3:13:16 PM11/4/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Lagerstroemia sp. may be indica....
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

tanay bose

Nov 4, 2010, 9:01:59 PM11/4/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
My guess will be Lagerstroemia speciosa
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Satish Phadke

Nov 5, 2010, 1:50:33 AM11/5/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Lagerstroemia indica ...........normal variation.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Nov 5, 2010, 2:33:42 AM11/5/10
to efloraofindia
This is certainly not a Lagerstroemia, as flowers are said to be
miniature. It does resemble Lagerstroemia but that was just a hint.
Stamens can be seen about 10 and not many. It is Malpighia sp, the
Barbados Cherry. It may be M. emarginata or M. glabra. Regards,
Shrikant

On Nov 5, 6:01 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My guess will be Lagerstroemia speciosa
> Tanay
>
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:43 AM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Lagerstroemia sp. may be indica....
> > Pankaj
>
> > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Padmini Raghavan <padi...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > This low growing plant was full of flowers which looked like miniature
> > > Lagerstroemia indica flowers.
> > > It is blooming now in Chennai after the rains.
>
> > >  The last two pics were taken in July and show the whole plant and its
> > > berries.
> > >  Thanks,
> > > Padmini Raghavan.
>
> > --
> > "TAXONOMISTS GETTING EXTINCT AND SPECIES DATA DEFICIENT !!"
>
> > Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
> > Research Associate
> > Greater Kailash Sacred Landscape Project
> > Department of Habitat Ecology
> > Wildlife Institute of India
> > Post Box # 18
> > Dehradun - 248001, India
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>             604-822-2019 (Lab)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca- Hide quoted text -

mani nair

Nov 5, 2010, 9:06:00 AM11/5/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Yes it is Barbadoss cherry. In the last photo you can see the cherry.

Regards,

Mani.

Mahadeswara Swamy

Nov 5, 2010, 9:26:55 AM11/5/10
to indiantreepix, Padmini Raghavan
Looks like Malphigiaceae member. Cannot be Lagerstroemia.

tanay bose

Nov 5, 2010, 10:15:01 AM11/5/10
to Mahadeswara Swamy, indiantreepix, Padmini Raghavan
I stand corrected
tanay
--
Tanay Bose

Padmini Raghavan

Nov 5, 2010, 1:59:49 PM11/5/10
to Mahadeswara Swamy, indiantreepix
I checked the pics on the net and it seems to match those of Malpigia punicifolia.
Many thanks for the id help.
Regards,
Padmini Raghavan.

Satish Phadke

Nov 6, 2010, 2:53:54 AM11/6/10
to indiantreepix
That was a googly.Got bold out. The flowers look similar to Lagerstroemia. I have not seen any Malpighiaceae member other than Hiptage madablota (Madhavi Lata.)
Thanks for the inputs.
Dr Phadke

Satish Phadke

Nov 6, 2010, 3:02:21 AM11/6/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
A Typo
Bowled out.

C KUNHIKANNAN

Nov 8, 2010, 1:36:18 PM11/8/10
to Padmini Raghavan, Mahadeswara Swamy, indiantreepix
We have the collection of  Malpigia punicifolia in our botanical garden. Please check it further before confirming as Malpigia punicifolia. leaves and fruits are different from the Malpigia punicifolia
kunhikannan
--
Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,

C KUNHIKANNAN

Nov 9, 2010, 4:52:13 AM11/9/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Please se two photographs of Malpigia punicifolia growing in our
Botanical garden
kunhikannan

--

Img0879.JPG
Img1002.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 9, 2010, 3:05:25 PM11/9/10
to C KUNHIKANNAN, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Ok I understand my mistake now.
This is Malpigia punicifolia.
Thanks a lot for sharing and for the info provided by all.
Pankaj

J.M. Garg

Mahadeswara Swamy

Dec 6, 2010, 2:23:48 AM12/6/10
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, Padmini Raghavan, C KUNHIKANNAN, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, tanay bose, satish phadke, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
This is Malpigia punicifolia only, as identified by Sri Inghalekarji.   There are  a few varieties of this plant and hence the leaves are variable.

JM Garg

Nov 19, 2017, 9:17:26 AM11/19/17
to efloraofindia, C KUNHIKANNAN

On Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 3:22:13 PM UTC+5:30, C KUNHIKANNAN wrote:
Img0879.JPG
Img1002.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 19, 2017, 11:16:37 AM11/19/17
to efloraofindia, C KUNHIKANNAN
Rather appears to be more close to Malpighia emarginata as per images & detailed discussions here.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Img0879.JPG
Img1002.JPG