efloraofindia 786543 Passion flower creeper at PUNE

Madhuri Raut

Aug 13, 2011, 6:45:08 AM8/13/11
to efloraofindia
Dear all,
I would like to share the pictures of Passion flower creeper in my garden

Date        13/08/2011 time 4.00pm
Location  District Pune ;State :Maharashtra

Habitat- Garden

Plant Habit-  Climber

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-beautiful purple flowers

Other Information like Fragrance Wonderful sweet fragrance

Regards
Bhagyashri
k3.jpg
k1.jpg
k2.jpg

Balkar Arya

Aug 13, 2011, 6:58:18 AM8/13/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Passiflora incarnata
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Madhuri Raut

Aug 13, 2011, 7:07:19 AM8/13/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
This is also called "Krishnakamal" in Marathi
regards
Bhagyashri

Mahadeswara

Aug 13, 2011, 8:14:38 AM8/13/11
to efloraofindia
Beautiful photographs.
>  k3.jpg
> 596KViewDownload
>
>  k1.jpg
> 509KViewDownload
>
>  k2.jpg
> 478KViewDownload

Madhuri Raut

Aug 14, 2011, 2:01:12 AM8/14/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Till today I was under the impression that Passion flower is only of blue colour as I had seen only blue passion flower. But today I learned to my surprise that it is also whitish and red in colour.  I have always wondered why does the same flower have different colours other eg.  like Hibiscus, Rose Any explanation?

I also want to share some interesting info I came across about Krishna kamal/ Passion flower

So, long story behind the name Krishna Kamal. There are (apparently) a 100 of those blue petals - one for each of the Kauravas, and 5 of the green ones in the centre - one for each of the Pandavas. The green bulb in the centre symbolises the Pandava queen Draupadi, and the three filaments are for the holy trinity of Brahma-Vishnu-Shiv. AND the white radial in the centre is the Sudarshan chakra of Lord Krishna.

Bhagyashri

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 14, 2011, 3:31:13 AM8/14/11
to efloraofindia
Its hard to make out the species of this plant. To me it looks like
Passiflora caerulea.
Neelkamal or KrishnaKamal is actually not passion flower as per my
knowledge, it should be some blue water lilly as per logic.
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 14, 2011, 6:07:54 AM8/14/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
To me this plant does not look like Passiflora caerulea in which leaves are usually 5-lobed (number of lobes if taxonomic character in this genus) and stipules large and reniform (linear here). This could be P. incarnata but not typical one in which petals are not ornamented, it is perhaps a cultivar of it. I have both from California and would upload them soon.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 14, 2011, 6:49:23 AM8/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
This may not be P. caerulea as I said it's difficult to conclude from
these pics. There are many hybrids and similar looking species.
Passiflora caerulea may not necessarily have 5 lobed leaves as per its
description. Number of lobes may vary according to the age of the
plant as well as the nutrients available as per my personal experience
of growing some species of Passiflora.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 14, 2011, 6:49:47 AM8/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I imagine if someone has a proper key for Passion flowers.
Please share.
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 14, 2011, 7:05:42 AM8/14/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji
There is a good key for some species in eFlora of China and eFlora of Pakistan, as also in Bailey Manual of Cultivated Plants (my copy is at Delhi). Yes P. caerulea may have lesser or more lobes but not in all leaves, majority would be 5-lobed. And yes large reniform stipules can't be ignored.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Raut

Aug 14, 2011, 10:43:08 AM8/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks to all for contributing so much information.
 I have always wondered why does the same flower have different colours eg.  like Hibiscus, Rose, Krshna kamal Any explanation?

Regards
Bhagyashri

Madhuri Pejaver

Aug 15, 2011, 1:50:39 PM8/15/11
to Mahadeswara, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Dear Bhagyashri
Nice to read the story. In childhood had heard it. but had forgotten. Thanks for reminding.
Madhuri

JM Garg

May 30, 2019, 11:56:50 PM5/30/19
to efloraofindia, Madhuri Raut, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, GurcharanSingh
Passiflora 'Soi Fah' as per images and references herein.
k3.jpg
k1.jpg
k2.jpg