Schefflera sp. 130311GS1 for ID from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 13, 2011, 10:27:50 AM3/13/11
to efloraofindia
Uploading photographs of woody plant displayed in Delhi University Flower show on 25 February, 2011.
Place: Delhi University campus
Alt: 213 m
Habitat: cultivated in pots
Date: 25-2-2011
Height: About 1 m
Inflorescence: a broad panicle
Leaf: Palmate compound
Flower: small, red, 3-4 mm across, stamens 5

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Schefflera-sp-DU-FS-25-2-Delhi-1.jpg
Schefflera-sp-DU-FS-25-2-Delhi-3.jpg
Schefflera-sp-DU-FS-25-2-Delhi-4.jpg
Schefflera-sp-DU-FS-25-2-Delhi-2.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 13, 2011, 10:51:39 AM3/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Is it Schefflera actinophylla
I am not sure!!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 13, 2011, 11:10:04 AM3/13/11
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Yes Tanay, I think you are right

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 13, 2011, 11:26:55 AM3/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
may be Schefflera roxburghii....plz check the synonymy....
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 13, 2011, 12:09:11 PM3/13/11
to Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose, efloraofindia
I would have been happy to photograph this threatened species endemic to Ganjam district, but I am afraid S. roxburghii has much longer petioles and petiolules and the flowers  are white or greenish white.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 13, 2011, 12:38:06 PM3/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Schefflera venulosa var venulosa and var. roxburghii, both are Jharkhand and I have seen one of them here in Uttarakhand and then Chattishgarh too and during my recent trip to south too.. Dont know the difference between them.
Earlier var. roxburghii was actually a different species, S. roxburghii, and it is reported in the Flora of Madras Presidency.
I just returned from my two days trip to Rajaji, so will check later, to confirm, but yes, there are many species growing in garden some of which are exotic.
Regards
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 13, 2011, 12:58:58 PM3/13/11
to Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Kew List recognises S. roxburghii as recognised species with Schefflera venulosa var. roxburghii (Gamble) K.K.Khanna as its synonym.

I read that it is  listed as threatened species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 13, 2011, 1:21:33 PM3/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
So both Schefflera venulosa and S. roxburghii are accepted and both are found.
Please recheck your link, it shows LEAST CONCERNED and not Threatened!!
Haines reported both plants from Bihar and Orissa and Clarke too.
I have seen many plants but never could differentiate.
Hence S.chefflera venulosa cant be endemic to south India.
Pankaj