29042011PJ1 ID request

PUTTARAJU K

Apr 29, 2011, 12:37:54 PM4/29/11
to indiantreepix

Dear All,

Pl find attached photo for id

 Date/Time-: 29/04/11   -    08:45

Location- Place, Altitude - Kaiga , Uttar Kannada ,Karnataka, 380 mtrs

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-   wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Tree

Height/Length- 4m

--
With Regards,
PUTTARAJU K,

Neil Soares

Apr 29, 2011, 12:42:18 PM4/29/11
to indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
Hi,
 This is Kala Kuda {Wrightia tinctoria].
                        Regards,
                         Neil Soares.

ajinkya gadave

Apr 29, 2011, 12:42:53 PM4/29/11
to PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
this is
Wrightia tinctoria
marathi name  :- काळा कुडा
Apocynaceae

tanay bose

Apr 29, 2011, 5:55:01 PM4/29/11
to ajinkya gadave, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Yup Wrightia tinctoria
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

H S

Apr 30, 2011, 4:01:38 AM4/30/11
to tanay bose, ajinkya gadave, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Dear all, its very much confusion in kala kuda and pandhra kuda the local marathi name..
Kala kuda is Holarrhena pubescens (bark dark colour)
Pandhra kuda or Dahi kuda is Wrightia tinctoria (bark whitish)
Infact in many marathi literature it has been confusing..

this foto is Wrightia tinctoria

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 30, 2011, 4:26:38 AM4/30/11
to efloraofindia
Just for comparison. Wrightia bark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2U4-9HiPgk

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 30, 2011, 4:46:43 AM4/30/11
to H S, tanay bose, ajinkya gadave, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
My information (Useful Plants of India, CSIR) is reverse, as rightly written by Neil ji and Ajinkya ji

Kala Kuda, Indrajau, mitha indrajau refer to Wrightia tinctoria

dola-kuda, pandhara-kuda, karwa indrajau, kadu indrajau refer to Holarrhena pubescens

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Apr 30, 2011, 4:56:17 AM4/30/11
to H S, tanay bose, ajinkya gadave, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Hello H S, ... please help us by elaborating with references, else it becomes difficult to get convinced by what is stated in your post ... especially, when we are getting to know that we have been knowing these names entirely wrong.

Regards.
Dinesh

Neil Soares

Apr 30, 2011, 9:16:46 AM4/30/11
to H S, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, ajinkya gadave, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Hi Prof.Singh, Dinesh & 'H.S',
   Agreed there is a bit of confusion in the local [Marathi / Hindi] names.

 Dr. Almeida in his 'Flora of Maharashtra' Vol 2 has confused matters even further. Accordingly :
 Holarrhena antidysentrica [ syn. H.pubescens - what I know as Safed Kuda] is Kuda
 Wrightia arborea [what I know as Tambda Kuda] is Dhordudha Kuda.
 Wrightia tinctoria [what I know as Kala Kuda] is Safed Kuda.
 Wrightia tinctoria var.rothii is Kala Kuda.

From my experience in the field.... this is one area where I chose not to follow Dr. Almeida's dictat.
                         With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

PUTTARAJU K

Apr 30, 2011, 10:25:56 AM4/30/11
to H S, tanay bose, ajinkya gadave, indiantreepix
Dear All,

     Pl find attached bark of the tree photographed yesterday for easy ID.

Puttaraju,K

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM, H S <hemsan.bh@gmail.com> wrote:
DSC_0289.JPG