for all (non)storytellers: Stories about trees.

Na Bha

Jul 21, 2011, 8:10:48 AM7/21/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Madhuri Pejaver
Hallo all,
forwarding a message:
[storytellingday] WSD 2012 - are your plans taking root?

some time ago I had written to you about the WorldStorytellingDay and that the theme for 2012 is Trees.
WSD takes place every year on March 20th.
More info >>      http://worldstorytellingday.webs.com/

I am a member in this group, I tell stories and I hope members of the group indiantreepix join the event in 2012 (and beyond). Certainly Trees is our interest and there are many knowledgeable people and experts in this group, who have lots and lots to tell. One doesn't have to be a professional storyteller or actor or whatever. A few interesting things about trees, experiences during your tree watching trek or tree appreciation walk can be the stock and a school class, a garden or even a tree could be the place to tell. It doesn't have to be exactly on 20. March. In Bremen I combine WSD with Zwiesprache Lyrik (Lyric in two languages) and that goes for the whole of march.

As you can see, people from Germany, Netherlands,  Singapore, South Africa, Sweden, Canada, Mexico, USA  and many other countries of the world are participating in this event, but no one from India as far as I see. And India has a big old storytelling tradition. So please think about it. We shall be very glad, if you join us. You don't have to be a member of the group to tell stories.

Madhuri ji, how about you? You are a passionate storyteller!

I myself am looking for stories too and find here and there some Ideas when I read mails in this group.

Best regards
Nalini

Read more below:

--------------------------------------
Thanks a lot for the moso story and the music! My father was a gardener and landscape architect and he loved bamboo.

Here in the north, the project is growing strong roots. In mid-august I'll start spreading the word in schools. No WSD theme so far, has elicited as much enthusiastic response as the tree theme! And it is so beautifully suited for educational work. It would be lovely if we could get teachers all over the world to use it for work with story/learning projects already in the autumn. Then they can have a celebration of their root-growing work on the WSD, when it suddenly will sprout branches and leaves like a world forest of moso bamboo.

One of many personal reasons for loving this theme (which could also be of interest for teachers) is the sub-theme of "The Tree of Life" with its interesting possibilities of both mythical and scientific interpretations. I'll write more about that later.

I have also developed an obsession for photographing trees. One that I'll restart next year is to document specific trees during all the seasons. In my part of the world, we are blessed with four of them, and many trees change clothes according to the season, like eager followers of fashion.

The Botanical Gardens here in Gothenburg has an "Arboretum" area, with trees from all over the world. If you happen to know of something similar elsewhere, we might get them cooperating - and sponsoring WSD events ...

Cheers, Ulf

PS I'll attach some of my tree images in low resolution. I'll make them available in higher quality somewhere on the net later.

Thanks for the inspiration Roger! May your photosynthesis produce great things.
Regards
Vanessa
South Africa
dear Tellers,

After the flurry of emails earlier this year garnering consensus for TREES, things seem to have gone very quiet.

Do you know about the MOSO bamboo? It's the type used in the Chinese martial arts movies (Crouching Tiger, House of Flying Daggers) as an environment for awe-jaw-dropping aerial fights. The trees go straight up, 30 metres tall, like poles in a forest created by cirque du soleil. The thing is, when you plant the moso, nothing happens - not for a month, not for a year, two years - you watch and wait and wonder. Finally, after five forgettable-where-on-earth-did-I-plant-the damm-seed-years?, whoosh! In one day, it grows 60 cms! yesterday there was nothing, now it's at your knees! After three days growth, the bamboo is as tall as me (180cm) and so it goes, day after day, soaring 20 cms at a time, for six weeks, right up to 30 metres or more.

So what's the moso been doing for 5 years? Creating a vast root system to supply it with energy for this amazing spurt, and to anchor these magnificent trees so that Ziyi Zhang and co can do acrobatic leaps on, off and around them.

Unfortunately, we don't have 5 years till WSD 2012 ... but i hope you're sinking your roots all the same!

I was inspired to write when I found this by Enya today - The Memory of Trees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpt_BIrIzM&feature=related

cheers

Roger in singapore

Hi everyone! I had more than a hundred unread WSD mails after some weeks of too many deadlines and timeconsuming computer problems. Good to see all the activity here!

My impression is that a broad interpretation of "Trees" is an outstanding candidate for next years theme. That wouldn't exclude more specific themes for local events, on the contrary I guess a more "extended" title (like "Trees of life" or "Tales taking roots" or "Family trees" etc.) might be better for attracting listeners. But for the global cooperation, a too narrow theme might mean that less people "join" the theme. Anyway the themes have never been something you really need to follow. But it is fun to cooperate around them, and this one seems to have sparked some good ideas already. And I also see good opportunities to reach more schools with it.

We had a really nice evening on March 20 here in Gothenburg, and I just uploaded a short video from the event. The first storyteller, Ola, who is a teacher, describes an event in his classroom. His class was a bit chaotic, and one of the pupils asks him to tell a story, because he knows that this will make everyone calm and happy. The next one, Juri, tells an absurd fishing story, and if you know swedish you might appreciate his west-swedish dialect. The last one is one of our younger storytellers here, Maja.

The painting shows a rather dangerous river fiddler, Näcken, from swedish folklore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CNqWtVw0lE

And should we for any reason agree on another theme than trees, I promise I'll make a new video dedicated to whatever we might come up with. Consider this one as my vote ;-)

Cheers, Ulf Ä
forest_02.jpg
moontrees_04.jpg
wolfisland.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Jul 21, 2011, 4:02:00 PM7/21/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Na Bha
Thanks for the complements Na Bha ji
Actually on this 20th march i did visit the site. But ----------
you said it need not be 20th exactly. But then how many days here and there?
Madhuri

Ushadi micromini

Jul 22, 2011, 1:47:13 AM7/22/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Nalini: how many stories do you have time to listen to...
the word is listen...
listening to stories ...is with heart and attention...

nor merely hear.... or just be present...
I have hundreds...
mainly relates to my search for its id ... so when I talk to local
people
they tell me good bad indifferent spiritual ethnobotanical or ghost
stories...

published a few...

Usha di
====

On Jul 22, 1:02 am, Madhuri Pejaver <formpeja...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the complements Na Bha ji
> Actually on this 20th march i did visit the site. But ----------
> you said it need not be 20th exactly. But then how many days here and there?
> Madhuri
>
> --- On Thu, 21/7/11, Na Bha <nabha-megh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> #yiv1708133592 .yiv1708133592ExternalClass .yiv1708133592ecxhmmessage P
> {padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;}
> #yiv1708133592 .yiv1708133592ExternalClass BODY.yiv1708133592ecxhmmessage
> {font-family:Tahoma;font-size:10pt;}

Nalini Bhat-Sperling

Jul 22, 2011, 4:14:51 PM7/22/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, indian...@googlegroups.com
I am not in Ritterhude till 8.8. answer all mails after that
Nalini
-------- Original-Nachricht --------